So I started welding Doris today

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thecyrusvirus
80-90 Mem No: 13398

So I started welding Doris today

Post by thecyrusvirus »

So, this is only the second time I have welded with my mig.

I cut out the rotten part of the arch (I bought a whole new nsf arch panel but it was like a tin can and couldn't bring myself to replace the factory arch with it)

So I ended up making up the rotten piece out of 1.5mm sheet (using two pairs of molegrips, a brick and a lump hammer!)

Once I cut it off I noticed a hole in the inner arch right through to the jacking point so I patched that aswell (didn't stop to take a picture sadly)

Then once done I welded the repair patch onto the arch (the lip is from the original arch and I used this to get the profile right. I drilled a few 8mm holes in the lip to weld it to the A post (or is it the B post?)

then flatted it off with a flap disc on the grinder and gave it a coat of grey primer

For my second attempt at welding i am pretty proud of it.

Tomorrow I am off to pick up my bottle of argoshield light from BOC then on with the seatbelt mount repair.

I will post more pictures as the restoration progresses
1987 1.9DG Petrol High top - Cardiff, Wales

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: So I started welding Doris today

Post by Plasticman »

boc :shock: £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ :rofl
thats far beter than fitting the thin tin one :ok
mm

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

I got the volkszone deal on the gas so it is only about £35+vat per annum for the rental and £25+vat for the refill I believe. Plus the BOC depot is just down the road from my house.

Even if it were 3 times that price I would pay it as I have gone through two disposable bottles already just doing those small repairs

I have got next week off work to try and get the MOT welding done so should be posting more updates (weather permitting)

I followed your advice Mike on not using the pattern panel, when I put the cut out section side by side with the pattern part the difference was astounding.

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

You should find your welds are less bubbly with Argoshield...I'm on the volkzone deal as well.

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Anything that will help my welds is worth it!

The volkszone deal is great, have you had to get many refills so far?

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

Maybe two....I'm on a Y size bottle and they last well...remember to turn it off at every opertunity! Been with BOC for years and yes they are expensive...but cheaper than paying for welding.