Sliding Door

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

salgarfi
80-90 Mem No: 9241

Sliding Door

Post by salgarfi »

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've been on the forum but this problem is a right pain in the bottom. If my sliding door isn't closed just the right way, it opens up. Now, I've looked at the Wiki, so I understand what might be wrong from a hardware point of view. But, this problem is always worse in the cold, and if I remember correctly, there has been a posting here (some time ago) about this, saying something about the grease in the sliding door lock being a culprit in contributing to the door's failure to stay closed, during the Winter months. Does anyone remember this? I think someone actually said that the grease could be cleaned out of the locking mechanism, and actually replaced with something else (which they actually suggested) which would help with the door closing properly. Any ideas?

Ta ra,
Sal
1990 2.1 Ltr WBX AutoSleeper High Top

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Sliding Door

Post by CovKid »

Yes it was me. Clean out with some kind of degreasant (white spirit possibly) and either regrease or use oil.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

sciroccotune
80-90 Mem No: 7521

Post by sciroccotune »

CovKid wrote:Yes it was me. Clean out with some kind of degreasant (white spirit possibly) and either regrease or use oil.

Agreed a good place to start! I find that over time a surprising amount of grit and sandy stud gets in there. I used brake cleaner last time as it evaporates quickly and is normally in a powerful spray can

salgarfi
80-90 Mem No: 9241

Post by salgarfi »

Thanks, but which oil, or grease would be best. Any preferences?

Sal
1990 2.1 Ltr WBX AutoSleeper High Top

Jcguentner
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Jcguentner »

I just had the same problem. I got a new set of springs from the states from Gowesty they recommended a bicycle chair lube.