Method of fitting new side window and rubber?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MOLLYTHEVIKING
80-90 Mem No: 0

Method of fitting new side window and rubber?

Post by MOLLYTHEVIKING »

Hi Guys,

I need to re-fit one of my side windows with a new rubber this weekend. The question is, is there a knack to doing it? I have been given some professional black sealant to use. Now this may seem a silly question but where does the sealant actually go? Is it to seal the glass into the rubber or the rubber over the bodywork....or both? I am fitting into a factory opening rather than a converted panelvan opening if that makes a difference....

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated :)

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Method of fitting new side window and rubber?

Post by CJH »

MOLLYTHEVIKING wrote:I am fitting into a factory opening rather than a converted panelvan opening if that makes a difference....

Are you referring to your Viking? My Viking was built, by Motorhomes International, on a panel van base, and I'm reliably informed that I have panel van windows. I've bought new seals from metalmick8y, but I'm yet to fit them so can't speak from experience.

The advice he gave me was to do them dry, without sealant. Fit the seal to the opening, push it hard into the corners and make sure it's not stretched as you don't want it to end up too short (it'll tend to shrink if stretched), cut it square with a pipe cutter (join on the bottom edge), tape the edges of the seal to the window surround to keep it in place, lubricate the glass with window cleaner and push the window into the seal, then insert the locking trim strip (special 'lacing' tool needed) and keep the locking strip join away from the join in the rubber.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

MOLLYTHEVIKING

Post by MOLLYTHEVIKING »

Mine is in fact an original conversion so I have factory windows. So the seals are already complete... Chris you will be pleased to know that things are progressing a bit faster now and all spraywork has been completed. I will be hitting the interior properly this month :)

CJH

Post by CJH »

MOLLYTHEVIKING wrote:Mine is in fact an original conversion so I have factory windows. So the seals are already complete... Chris you will be pleased to know that things are progressing a bit faster now and all spraywork has been completed. I will be hitting the interior properly this month :)

That's good to hear - mine's back together now, but I'm still very interested in any of the original wood-effect MFC that you're not planning to re-use.

OK, so what do you mean by 'original conversion'. I assume mine is too - but I believe that simply means it was delivered to Motorhomes International as a new panel van, with delivery miles only.

MOLLYTHEVIKING

Post by MOLLYTHEVIKING »

I'm not entirely sure. The guy that I purchased it off said that it is pretty rare for some reason as it isn't a converted panel van? I should try and look into it more i guess....

CJH

Post by CJH »

MOLLYTHEVIKING wrote:I'm not entirely sure. The guy that I purchased it off said that it is pretty rare for some reason as it isn't a converted panel van? I should try and look into it more i guess....

Interesting - maybe MI switched to using panel vans later on. Yours is earlier than mine I believe? Mine's a 1983. Maybe somebody else knows what's what here.

More importantly for the topic of this thread though, I think that means the advice I passed on about the seals is useless to you!

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

If its a Viking,its certainly not an original VW factory conversion.Its almost certain to be a converted panel.Unless a caravelle was used as a base.

Mine is in fact an original conversion so I have factory windows
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

MOLLYTHEVIKING

Post by MOLLYTHEVIKING »

Sorry, that's what I kind of meant...It must be from a caravelle rather than a van with the windows cut. The windows are definitely factory fitted though.

All I have regarding documentation is a letter from Volkswagen to the first owner with an invoice for a new Xplorer for the pricely sum of £8223.94. And a new vehicle order form. He also ordered two sunloungers, an outdoor galley and a cab table totalling £266.oo :D

CJH

Post by CJH »

My invoice shows the basic price of £9733.92, £100 for the fridge I think, and £356 for a pair of Wolfrace seats. The owner part-ex'd a white VW Devon with just under 50,000 miles on the clock (the form says 495,000, but that seems like too much for a V reg, given that he was buying a new A reg).

So either MI swapped from Caravelle's to panel vans some time between yours and mine, or maybe yours was a special order for a customer who wanted a Caravelle base vehicle. I've seen a photo of early Vikings lined up in the factory - it should be easy enough to tell what sort of windows they've got. I'll see if I can locate it.

But we digress again - just how DO you put the rubbers into factory windows? :roll:

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

CJH wrote:
But we digress again - just how DO you put the rubbers into factory windows? :roll:

....no idea, but I will be following the advice you posted above when I re do my Hitop windows very soon.... :ok
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

CJH

Post by CJH »

CJH wrote:I've seen a photo of early Vikings lined up in the factory - it should be easy enough to tell what sort of windows they've got. I'll see if I can locate it.

Found it. I hope this link works - it's a Google Books extract that includes a few images of Xplorers. The factory shot that I remembered is quite small, and isn't really conclusive, but the shot of a single LHD air cooled model seems to show smaller windows, which I think are panel van aftermarket windows.

Are there any digital copies of Viking sales brochures out there?

shanco73
80-90 Mem No: 6874

Post by shanco73 »

I would love a viking roof, so much space up there. ideally i will swap my high top for a viking roof during my resto. this is highly unlikely. I do love a viking roof though, specially as we have 4 kids.....

Enjoy lucky Viking owners :)
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)
sleeps 2 adults and one baby - so far
Off road (under MIG at the mo)
Soon to be seen at a campsiye near you !!

shanco73@hotmail.com surrey

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

fairwynds wrote:
CJH wrote:

....no idea, but I will be following the advice you posted above when I re do my Hitop windows very soon.... :ok
factory with a string
mm

MOLLYTHEVIKING

Post by MOLLYTHEVIKING »

String indeed! Was a lot easier than I expected :)