body panels and how they go back together

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

shanco73
80-90 Mem No: 6874

body panels and how they go back together

Post by shanco73 »

I have started to cut rotten panels out of my van, its not as bad as it looks which is a relief. However, how do you know how the panels go back together, sounds like a really daft question, but the lower outer sill for instance, i guess it is spotted at the bottom, and at the top is it welded from inside ? what about the panel above that, do you cut a whole in the floor to get access to weld it from behind, I am just a bit unsure, is there a guide anywhere that indicates how the panels should fit together and where you should weld. I did a night school welding class last year for this very project. Any help with where the panels should be welded will be gratefully received. photos to follow of what i have cut out today. Thanks Steve
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)
sleeps 2 adults and one baby - so far
Off road (under MIG at the mo)
Soon to be seen at a campsiye near you !!

shanco73@hotmail.com surrey

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: body panels and how they go back together

Post by lloydy »

there is a thread called gaswagon, where there is a fair few pics on doing that seam.

As an aside, how did you find the welding course? i am thinking of doing one myself. Did you do it a brooklands?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

shanco73

Post by shanco73 »

Hi Lloydy, I will have a look at the gaswagon post, i did the welding course at Bracknell college, it was good if a little un-structured, great practical gas welding mig and tig, but not any theory, which is fine you can read stuff on the web any time, it was very enjoyable and i got a bit of experience and confidence in my Mig welding abiltiy, also discovered that the gas switch was a bit sticky on my welder, fixed now.
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

as ^^^ says
also have a look at these two
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=110336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=114490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
post up some picks of the specific areas your doing and if its not rude then try not to cut before asking as its easy to make hard work :lol:
mm

shanco73

Post by shanco73 »

Wow metalmick8y, amazing threads, your work is just outstanding. So i need to cut out the closing panels from inside the cabin, to enable me to see down to the sill panels. I think I will buy a sill and lower side panel for the right hand offside, I will get some photos on here tomorrow, cant be bothered to download from phone tonight. I have cut allready but only what absolutely needed to be removed, I dont have as much free time as I would like as I have four young kids and a sick wife, so progress will be slow, my van has been sat on the drive now unused for four years, so it really is time to get her up and running again. I have been meaning to start this for ages.
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

you can only buy the lower outer sill............................but i have been known to supply the lower panel that is from the swage down to this sill and also the pair of inner closure plates :lol:
mm

shanco73

Post by shanco73 »

Hello,

Some photos of what I am going to repair.

]Image

seems like quite a bit of the panel under the windows down to the sill, is filler as well, so i might tackle that, i notice that JK has quite a few panels for the T25, could be quite a job. Also I was hoping to remove the high top, but whoever fitted it cut the entire roof off, should i throw this away and start with a tin top, i do like the AAZ conversion in this van though ?

At least I have started again :)
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

ALL the roof? No bracing? Wheres its strength? :shock:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

shanco73

Post by shanco73 »

I will have to have a really good look, but i think he has chopped the entire length of the roof out, obviously the bit at the top pf the front and rear screens in still there, not sure how much more is though. Would ove to weld a tin top back on it, plan at the moment is to change it in to a 7 seater so i can cart all the kids and wife around in it. If i can make it safe and MOT-able.
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)

shanco73

Post by shanco73 »

So I managed to get a little time with the van today, Got the front part of the closing panel out, need a repair to the b pillar jacking point and inner sill, floor and side panel, that should do it for this part of the van, a few piccies below please comment :ok

85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)

shanco73

Post by shanco73 »

meant to post these as well

looks like this is going to be a mission, should i pull the engine and gear box, break it and get another one.
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

Wow...that's advanced corosion and to be honest if you don't know how the panels fit together it is going to to be some task...looks like that part alone needs an inner and outer sill, an arch, an outrigger, a jacking point and b post bottom, and a side panel...nothing is impossible but how's your metal work skills?

I don't mean to sound negative and I'm all for repairing old stuff but I'm also a realist.

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Quote..." looks like this is going to be a mission, should i pull the engine and gear box, break it and get another one."

I have one young kid and a fit wife...and I have no time to sort a van with very minor rust issues and I'm very familiar with the welder and the tin snips...to be honest I think you should shift this van on and find a better example..no offence intended but welding repair take ages and need to be done indoors ideally..then there is the paint to deal with after etc..

Rather than break it maybe sell as it is to a t25 breaker? Better than having a half dead van on our drive and all the usefull bits will to to good homes?

shanco73

Post by shanco73 »

I like getting my hands dirty and i can weld, but i am working outside, I'm in two minds what to do here, the van has been sat outside for four years already, since we last used it i do like the aaz engine that's fitted, we had some great times away in the van when our first was little.

I always have a mechanical project of some sort on the go, i do enjoy it but this will be the first T25 that i do any major metal work on, should be a great way to get to know how the panels do go together, and there are lots of posts on here to look at for inspiration, and some great T25 people to turn to for advice.

I think I will strip all the paint from that corner, inner arch out rigger and see how far the rot has gone, will post some more piccies when i have stripped back, it will be decision time then i think, see if i can get time to do it tomorrow.
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Ok, don't let me discourage you then...good luck and genuinely hope you get it sorted :ok