New T25 owner, rust question & on-going updates

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thecyrusvirus
80-90 Mem No: 13398

New T25 owner, rust question & on-going updates

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Hi Folks

Just picked up a T25 that has been SORN for past 18 months

Had to drive to MOT test center in order to legally move it and as such just received a nice list of welding needed. I was just wondering if it was possible to point me in the direction of where I can buy pattern parts or custom panels for the following welding failures (where it is possible to identify the part obviously!):

Offside Front step Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Front outer wheel arch Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Offside Rear outer wheel arch Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Offside Rear outer body panel Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Rear inner wheel arch sill Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Offside Rear inner wheel arch sill Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
Last edited by thecyrusvirus on 22 May 2014, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
1987 1.9DG Petrol High top - Cardiff, Wales

thecyrusvirus

Re: New T25 owner, rust question

Post by thecyrusvirus »

I will take some pictures now and add them to the post, might help!!

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

The descriptions come after the pictures

Image near side front outer arch...big hole!

Image near side rear inner arch, right at the back under the van. can see through from the engine bay to the floor if looking from above. This shot is from unerneath

Image offside rear inner arch is much the same

Image The outer arch on the offside and the body panel have some holes as seen in this pic and the next one.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Hi
you will need a touch more than the panels that are available im afraid
mm

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

HI mm

Is this the right bit for the offside rear arch?

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t25-parts ... -1992.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Cyrus

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

yes that will cover the outer bit ok ,its whats under it all that is the issue, you doing this yourself
mm

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Thankfully not doing it myself mm. The only things I have ever welded are exhausts and a battery holder...both of those badly. There are only two jobs I will never tackle again (welding and plastering) anything else is fair game.

My mate is a welder/ fabricator and will be doing the hard work..I will just be supplying the beers :)

The inner arch is shot (both sides) on the rear and mate has said he will make up any missing bits in his workshop from sheet metal. The rest of the panels and the chassis look pretty sound underneath..fingers crossed all is as it seems once the angle grinder comes out (unlikely I know)

Thanks for taking time to reply. Going to order the part now

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

MM is giving you a good heads up on what to expect. Those areas invariably rust from the inside out which is why you always find more rot that you think, plus hes done a few and knows where they go. I'd be amazed if the area around jacking point is solid. :D

I must come and visit youy Mike. You seem to have the same approach to things as me.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

thecyrusvirus wrote:There are only two jobs I will never tackle again (welding and plastering) anything else is fair game.

Pretty much how I feel.........
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Thanks for the input guys. I am guessing it will be much like my first mini. Start taking panels off and everything underneath is a nice crumbly orange/ red colour.

I am expecting a good couple of weeks of welding favours...better get a couple of crates of beer for him!

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

colinthefox wrote:
thecyrusvirus wrote:There are only two jobs I will never tackle again (welding and plastering) anything else is fair game.

Pretty much how I feel.........

Aye, both of these jobs are like dark arts to me. I can pick most things up pretty quickly but not these :(

JimmyT25
80-90 Mem No: 14160

Post by JimmyT25 »

Hi thecyrusvirus

What I would do in your position is as follow, get an angle grinder and a knotted wire brush attachment (also goggles and gloves to be safe ;) ) and use this to rip away the rusty metal starting in the area where you have rusty holes and scabbing and work your way back until you have bare metal and no holes.
Then any really rusty bits that haven't got holes hit then with a hammer pointy (ish) hammer, if a hole appears the metal needs to be cut out, if not then you need to decide whether it's better/easier to use a rust treatment or it or cut it out.
Once you have done this in all the bad areas then work out which panels you need to order and which bits you can patch with flat metal.
I've found these places good for various different panels

Just kampers
Vw heritage
Brickworks
Alan H Schofield

I hope I'm not telling you too much you already know or putting you off lol, let us know how you get on.

Jimmy

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

HI Jimmy

I started the prepwork on the weekend, between my knotted brush and flap wheel I have cleared up a couple of the areas underneath and cut out some serious rust elsewhere.

I know with rust it is always worse than it looks but I was pleasantly surprised (apart from behind the fridge area) I know they rust badly there and it looks like I need a new outersill and floor repair

The only pain was that my 4.5" angle grinder packed up part way through the day and had to resort to using a 9" angle grinder - which isn't so easy to get into tight spots :(

Replacement panels that I know are needed have been ordered and hopefully welding commences this weekend!

I am looking forward to getting the old bird back on the road and the kids are nagging me already because they want to go camping

I will keep you all posted

Cheers
Cyrus

andyh10
80-90 Mem No: 12966

Post by andyh10 »

Hi there guys,

sadly my T25 is in a very similar situation. i finally gutted the van and every part of interior i removed revealed yet another rusty hole. the floor being one of the worst. i could patch it up with sheet metal but by the time i do that, its probably better to have replaced the whole floor. is there a complete floor panel i can buy anywhere?

any help is much appreciated.

Andy
1982 1.6d hightop

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

HI Andy

The only one I have seen so far for the cargo floor is here:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Car ... 463596.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will keep an eye out as I am browsing for parts to see if I come across any others...good luck with it

Cheers
Cyrus