Driving with rusty bumpstop

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chrisevans

Driving with rusty bumpstop

Post by chrisevans »

The offside bumpstop has almost rotted through. is it safe to drive for a short distance with it in this state (I was thinking to the garage to get it welded) I have the repair panel already.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Driving with rusty bumpstop

Post by CovKid »

When you say bumpstop, are we talking rear and the bit that the rear spring sits on (spring plate) as that forms part of the bumpstop. On mine the rear spring had eaten its way through one side of it (not uncommon) but was easy enough to rectify once I got in there, took a few measurements and had a brand new one made locally.

Short distance ok i'd say - if thats the case. Just avoid the heavily pot-holed road you were thinking of taking :wink:

I had my new one made out of much thicker steel altogether and cut up some very thick rubber (junk from a lorry actually) for the spring tail to sink into rather than sit on a flat surface. Worked brilliantly - £15. 8)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

as ^^^^ says, plus i have these for sale at 15 each or 25 per pair :lol:
mm

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Mike does good one. The reason I went to a heavier guage in my case, was to make up for any potential weakness in the top of the trailing arm. With a rusty spring plate sat on it for so long, it was hard to say how thick the section was so I cleaned up trailing arm top thoroughly and welded to that. As my replacement spring plate was the same guage as that used for the trailing arm itself, and a bit bigger than stock, this worked brilliantly. I only had an arc welder to hand on the day but with it being thick metal, this was ok anyway. I just drilled two holes and puddled the plate on. At some point I'll mig it round.

Incidentally, its a faff getting spring back in so I cheated and slid spring plate in with spring on it, then welded it down. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

I have one of the Brickwerks plates to fit but it would be good to understand what plates you supply Mickey for future ref. Also I guess you are pretty close to the inlaws up in Willerby?

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Sorry to hi jack thread, jacked up the rear to remove the added rear seat belt bolts and for some reason gave the rear spring a wobble, it came of in my hand along with the rusty steel bottom spring plate, anyway I have got plenty of bits laying around to make one, just wondered whether these are spot welded on as the ones I have seen for sale have got a lot of holes in them, if so can you just chisel the old plates of

Cheers
Nic
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

I think you are right - chisel of the old plate, clean up the trailing arm and the plug weld the plate in place

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

as you asked :lol:
£15 each posted or 25 a pair, hardly worth making :wink:
mm

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Good quality ones Mick. Same guage of steel as mine and you've rounded tops nicely to stop water sitting in there - better than stock. I gave mine a coat of zinc spray once it was on. :D