Removing seat runners

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sciroccotune
80-90 Mem No: 7521

Removing seat runners

Post by sciroccotune »

Hi guys, the vans out of the unit so that means time to get stuck into a few things before I go away in it.

One of those things is new fancy seats :)

I am removing the runners from the base in the van (the bit that is actually attached to the van) and seem to be havering trouble not going through the body when drilling the spots out.

Not a problem as I will just weld up the holes and make good (bit stupid of me I know) but what have others experienced?

Any one know of a good spot remover bit?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398365182.778028.jpg

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Removing seat runners

Post by max and caddy »

These...
http://www.drapertoolbox.co.uk/draper-5 ... 5168-67074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Work quite well but I often drill a small pilot hole to prevent skipping just the depth of one panel...good value and last ok if not used to fast.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

as ^^^^
slower speed and keep pressure on as when the bits spin up they get hot and .....also learn to listen to the sound of it as you drill, you will soon know when you are near through
mm

sciroccotune

Post by sciroccotune »

Thanks guys, it's more a practice and patience thing I guess. Whats a few holes to weld up..... What's the best way to weld those holes they are about 7mm. Just out of interest really as it's normally more clear once actually doing the job.

Of course I could be lazy and seam seal......hmmm

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

The large holes will be in the runner so you can fill with a weld ....if you do have a hole about 7mm in a panel to fill the method I use is o tape a bit of flattened copper pipe o the back side and just fill the hole...the copper will barely stick and leaves the back flat...handy for lots of ole and even butt welds if the gap is a bit bigger than ideal.

sciroccotune

Post by sciroccotune »

max and caddy wrote:The large holes will be in the runner so you can fill with a weld ....if you do have a hole about 7mm in a panel to fill the method I use is o tape a bit of flattened copper pipe o the back side and just fill the hole...the copper will barely stick and leaves the back flat...handy for lots of ole and even butt welds if the gap is a bit bigger than ideal.

Thanks again everyone and max that's a super idea!

sciroccotune

Removing seat runners

Post by sciroccotune »