Widearching the Syncro

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Widearching the Syncro

Post by poshbuggers »

OK, I am ready for a flaming, ribbing or ridiculing here. It's pretty inevitable and I don't care because despite the misgivings of others I really fancy widearching my Syncro. YES, you read that right :run

The reasons?

#1 I would like to space out the wheels a little and create some room where the arches restrict tyre space.
#2 I love the styling of the T3 and it's teutonic 80's vibe. It harkens to other period classics like the Audi Quattro, Lancia Delta and Golf Mk1 - all cars I love. I'd like to mimic the widebody style used on the rally/race versions of these and try and do something special with my van.
#3 I need to do some bodywork anyway. My cab steps, outer sill bottoms and ends, sliding door sill panel and rear nearside bumper mount panel are shot/ready for replacement. I figure I can upgrade instead of just replacing.

My original inspiration was this Photoshop which I am sure many of you may have seen too:

The design is based on the Audi UR Quattro below:

I had a go at creating something similar - initially with a Syncro Westy:

And later with a hightop:

I also love the 80's Pemamobil vans which used GRP panels to create a more futuristic look based on the T3 platform:

I'd like to combine the ideas and use repair panels to create a similar look, spacing them 25-40mm from the existing body with infills between. At the front I would use arch replacements, at the rear I could use an arch replacement and/or a full half panel. I'm not sure about the front doors as I haven't seen a door skin above the lower sill line to work from.

I'd welcome the comments and constructive criticism from members. I don't expect to have to justify myself much as it's my van, my style and therefore my prerogative how, why and what I do with it - but I would like your thoughts on the best way to create the panels and make them look correct and sympathetic with the overall design of the van.

:D

I've looked at it from various angles and it seems a decent way to do this is to use repair panels and space them out from the existing body, creating a box-arch effect and blend them back in either side of the arch. A fabricator friend has recently done this with a Mk2 Ford Fiesta to great effect and he would be doing the welding on mine if work proceeds.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Widearching the Syncro

Post by Aidan »

look at Fin's black twin turbo pickup, he did the rear arches in a quattro stylee and looks good, but he left the fronts alone and runs two widths of wheels tyres - gives it a phat look
anything is possible with a skilled bodyperson and a deep pocket
Biggest issue with altering the track is how it will drive, syncro was designed for fairly narrow tyres and works well with unassisted steering on those but start widening the rubber and the handling deteriorates ime, ackerman is wrong, steering becomes heavy and slow, loads on all components are increased ; whilkst p/s may solve the heavy steering for the driver it won't lessen those loads which are already close to design limit with standard set up
Anyone who has driven a modified syncro and then driven a standard one on standard rubber comments on how nice the original drives, how responsive and driveable it is
AFAIAC even the 16" is too modified/ruined and that was from the factory, they only really did it for NATO tyre size compliance I think, there's nothing a 16" does better than a 14" except look a bit butcher

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

Thanks for the input Aidan.

I've been looking for pics of Fin's ride but only found one via Google with a rear arch repair panel spaced out far. I don't know how much further it got from there but it was what inspired me to look at using repair panels to achieve width. The other pictures seem to have failed links on his thread.

I appreciate what you are saying concerning the agility of the stock 14". They do work well with skinny tyres as I know from running 195R15MT's at last years Busfest.

I wouldn't be widening the arches much - an inch perhaps - and again not to fit fatter tyres but to give a little more clearance for my current offroad wheel and tyre setup (16"x7J with 235/60R16AT BFG) and add a bit of style in the process. I won't be going any more extreme. On the road I have a less extreme road tyre on 16"x8J Audi rims.

This is an early photo of my friends Fiesta. He used repair panels too and the overall look really suits the car because it retains the factory lines and arch profile.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

Looking forward to seeing this done. Great Idea. :ok

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Not sure if its if any use PB, but could contact these chaps with regards to arch flaring to see if anything can be done about extending the arch using the existing/new panels?!

http://www.archenemy.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.archwerx.co.uk/Arch%20Rolling.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by 300CE on 17 Apr 2014, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Whether its to ones taste/liking Paul, always nice to see someone doing something different to ram raiding the 'shiney s**t' counter at halfords with a magnet on their van. :ok

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

300CE wrote:Not sure if its if any use PB, but could contact these chaps with regards to arch flaring to see if anything can be done about extending the arch using the existing/new panels?!

http://www.archenemy.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.archwerx.co.uk/Arch%20Rolling.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I looked at that and I decided it wasn't the look I wanted. I know Dai has successfully widened his arches but I wanted something that uses the natural seams on the van instead.

)

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

ELVIS wrote:Whether its to ones taste/liking Paul, always nice to see someone doing something different to ram raiding the 'shiney s**t' counter at halfords with a magnet on their van. :ok

Thanks Elvis. Well that is something I pray I can never be accused of. There are some trends with these vans and while its nice that people appreciate a certain look I do get some satisfaction knowing mine is/will be unique in some respects and reflects my ideal T3.

With that in mind though I do try to keep mods both practical and sympathetic to the original design. That's why I started this thread I guess. Sometimes its good to get honest feedback on a mod, even if its not particularly what you want to hear.

I recently fitted one of two period 80's German Polyroof 'dayvan' windows - to the sliding door, a panel van door no less as it is deeper and narrower than the stock T3 glass area. It's certainly caused discussion and questions but I am happy with my choice and reasoning for it. It works how I expected it to, suits my intended overall style and doesn't compromise anything I have concern over. I call it the spacedock. The wife calls it the fishbowl :?

I can't wait to do the opposing side and tidy it up.

)

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

poshbuggers wrote: I looked at that and I decided it wasn't the look I wanted. I know Dai has successfully widened his arches but I wanted something that uses the natural seams on the van instead.

No worries Paul, keep us updated on how you get on :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

This American publication has some information about doing exactly what your looking to do...

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/M ... edir_esc=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

Thanks Aidan. Some great photos there and it confirms some of my thoughts.

However I would prefer to take the arch tops higher, which unfortunately means more work. I knocked up a few sketches weeks ago but it depends very much on panel availability and how tidy a job can be done.

)

Tobyt25

Post by Tobyt25 »

Thought you might be interested in these pics. ImageImage

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

I have loads of pictures and info on the Traveller Jet (above). It's been a huge inspiration for my van so far :ok

)