Sliding Door rollers

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Sliding Door rollers

Post by garyd »

On a late model sliding door, the lower front mount has two rollers. The lower, vertical, roller carries the weight of the door while the upper roller lays horizontally and keeps the door running in the right alignment.

As my door was quite noisy I started to investigate these rollers and discovered that there is considerable slack between the top roller and the channel (under the floor edge) that it runs in. Maybe 3mm of free movement (door moving in the in-out plane).

So, can anyone tell me whether these rollers are prone to significant wear of their external diameter which would lead to this slack or is it the channel that has worn? Or is there meant to be that much slack, even with a new channel and roller?

thanks
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Sliding Door rollers

Post by Plasticman »

ive never paid that much attention to it,but they all seem to have some lateral play , they have to realy as if they were more of an interference fit then it wouldnt take much crud before they stick and bind up.
one of the best things you can do is to remove all that disgusting thick grease thats mixed with every type of abrasive know, wash the runners(all 3) and apply light oil/grease and keep it clean and lubed.,if your minded then remove the bearings and clean up and refit, you dont need to remove the door for this just sit it on a stand as i do when fitting wings etc
mm