Schofields window repair sections

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fidget
80-90 Mem No: 9027

Schofields window repair sections

Post by fidget »

Hi all

The final push to finish my van has begun , so Im starting to repair my sliding door now. Anybody had any experience with these sections

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/ ... 00346.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Normaly I would fabricate these me self but im all out of steel sheet and am looking to save some time , so with the cost of these are they worth the aggro , are they made of tin foil and do they even bear any resemblance to the profile they should

any thoughts /

James
If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Re: Schofields window repair sections

Post by NicBeeee »

I have recently used the front windscreen 3 piece repair part, saved me plenty of time and messing about, it was same gauge of steel that I cut out and it fitted well with minor fetalling, only draw back was the windscreen lip is double skin so I had to make a simple strip to weld to the inside to make up the thickness. Although pricey I like to weigh things up with the amount of cash saved by doing it yourself and if I ever needed to do another I would buy again. Particularly if doing it outside and have one eye on the weather :ok Oh and it might be wise, as MM pointed out to me, to see how far the rust has gone as you might find yourself making patches anyway.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

You got picks of this job? Come on I like stuff to read as well

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

metalmick8y wrote:You got picks of this job? Come on I like stuff to read as well

OOps sorry :oops: I am always amazed at how you can do the quality work you do and document it at the same time, I had planned to take piccies but I tend to get sucked in to what I am doing and wether I am doing the right thing by doing it outside with rain immeninent and next thing I know it was finished, I can take a pic of the finished thing with its seal lifted up of you wish, not very exciting I know
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

fidget

Post by fidget »

Well heres the offending areas, all had been filled with plod at some point in the vans life

Taken back to sound metal

Think Ill give the repair sections a go , as I need the front screen sections so Ill use these as a trial, also got this gouge and the bottom section to repair. Again filled at some point.

Yep somebody had used loft insulation as sound proofing , which to be fair was bone dry so the issues could have been worse .As you can see the inner repair panel bears a close re-semblance of the original just made of tin-foil, undecided if Ill use this yet

James
If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Hmm usual nastiness there,I've not used the rep sections but worth a try ,as cor the slider bottom well I've given up with those rep panels as they are so thin and don't fit that well. You only need the bottom part so fold a bit of steel ,your call
mm

fidget

Post by fidget »

I brought the inner section with out seeing how rotten it was Mike, looking at it now its not to bad , just going to cut back to clean metal and see whats salvagable. Starting to get back into the swing of things now so should be a quick job

:ok
James

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

NicBeeee wrote:
metalmick8y wrote:You got picks of this job? Come on I like stuff to read as well

OOps sorry :oops: I am always amazed at how you can do the quality work you do and document it at the same time, I had planned to take piccies but I tend to get sucked in to what I am doing and wether I am doing the right thing by doing it outside with rain immeninent and next thing I know it was finished, I can take a pic of the finished thing with its seal lifted up of you wish, not very exciting I know
nah, phone is always to hand and picks arte so quick and easy so its no effort,upload is also quick , it does however take time to E D I T them into some sort of order etc and then post up so 30 mins a day but then ive donbe for the day and whilst dicking here and there and spending an hour a night on pm's etc then it all sort of falls into place,
to put it into context, what your doing on the street is hard work , hat off to you
mm

fidget

Post by fidget »

Quick up-date#

ordered the repair sections before 11 on Tuesday , Delivered yesterday cant fault that :ok

first impressions, well there actually a good 1mm thick instead of the usual .6-.75 repo panel thickness

and the corners are formed nice and flat with out the usual excessive crease/kink form found else where

Havent offered them up to the door profile yet but Im planning on getting em fitted this weekend

James

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

hmm 1mm ? hmm you got a calibration cert for that thumb screw :ok

fidget

Post by fidget »

Ok mister picky

that one is out of calibration as its the first mic I brought as a apprentice and now lives a cosseted life at home with me . So to prove a point heres the same piece with a fully calibrated mic that is in daily use :D

technically its oversize to us aerospace bods but Im not getting into that :run

Right corners are a good shape

trimmed to fit the hole gonna have a left hand corner going spare if anyone wants one :ok

I straightened out the radius on the door with my joggler, then formed a rad on the repair section by beating it over a spare jacking point re-enforcement section (availiable if you know where to ask)

Fitted in place still got the infill sections to deal with but the door has had a coat of primer prior to tomorrows welding

all good so far

James

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

looking good, but that is way ouit of spec on the steel :twisted:
mm

fidget

Post by fidget »

Not sure what you mean mike :oops: . Just measured the hole in the door Ive cut out and the thickness ranges from 1.05 mm on the straight flanges in the window aperture to just under 0.9mm where there is a bend formed.

The inner door repair section measures just over 0.8mm :shock: :shock:

James

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

yes that will be stretch from forming , lets face it ,the steel has to be got from somewhere,,,,,
as for the inner bottoms. well ive about given up un them , they only usually go at the lower part so i now make my own and they fit just under the visible paint line under the trim

mm

fidget

Post by fidget »

Ive got to find a nice local sheet metal company to pit a bend in a strip of metal for me , what angle do you do them to mike ?

James