Suspension Component mounting prescribed area is excessiv...

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Suspension Component mounting prescribed area is excessiv...

Post by kevtherev »

max and caddy wrote: It's the law...zeal or not...
max and caddy wrote: to use as he sees fit...

My point entirely.... zeal
Lack of structural knowledge is no excuse to fail a van for holes that, in no way compromise strength.
using the "law" is a cop out.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Politics aside, the fact remains its failed. :D Lets see if we can figure out where.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

kevtherev wrote:
max and caddy wrote: It's the law...zeal or not...
max and caddy wrote: to use as he sees fit...

My point entirely.... zeal
Lack of structural knowledge is no excuse to fail a van for holes that, in no way compromise strength.
using the "law" is a cop out.

A cop out...? So if the ministry man does get involved and a hole is within 11" of a mounting etc i just tell him you said it would be ok then? I don't even need my job anyway and the garage will love the points on the mot licence I'm sure.

As mike points out...the man is watching...and they work by the rules, common sense isn't a factor with those guys, nor is sympathy for rusty old sheds..as for the lack of structural knowledge...well I know vey well where the strength is found in a T3 shell as I'm intrested in those...but present with a Toyota summat...or a thingy wotsit...maybe with a plastic panelled underside so nothings very visable..? no idea where the seat belt ends finish..? some kind of method of testing has to be used and I'm not intrested in finding out all about every body structure ever built just in case one turns up.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Exactly. No disrespect intended but there is no point bleating about whether the failure is justified or not. Thats just the way it is now. Unfortunately VOSA would just find more if you kicked up a fuss. The video does cover it very well. There are plenty of laws I don't agree with (in particular the hammering to legal aid) but I'd drive myself insane if I dwelled on all the legislation I'm not happy with. You just have to press on in the end.

Personally, I'd rather cut out any rot/rust. It all adds up and any crunchiness anywhere just reduces the body's ability to absorb impacts as a whole. Mine goes through every year with a pass but I spend a week or so underneath looking at every nook and cranny with a very bright torch. My exterior panels may be dented but its solid and what isn't solid gets cut out and replaced - end of. To that end I just bought a brand new MIG welder for a Summer of thrills and spills. Now all I need is wire and gas and I can play....
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.