Suspension Component mounting prescribed area is excessiv...

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maslan
80-90 Mem No: 13320

Suspension Component mounting prescribed area is excessiv...

Post by maslan »

Hello

MOT fail last year and just getting to it now.... HOPEFULLY in time for the summer :D

I have had a local welder come and go through it for me but he got a bit stuck as seemingly parts that failed look fine.

So, O/S and N/S outer rear (sill) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded - this was found easily and parts needed I have ordered and he showed me exactly.

But, n/s and o/s FRONT (floor) supsension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded. - I did not know what this could be referring to.

What is it and where do i look? What may i need? Or is it just a broad statement that could be anything within that area of the vehicle? Please help me, I don't want to get ripped off at a garage.

I am learning! Sorry if it's obvious :-/

Thanks

Madeline
1982 T25 Diesel Engine
Michael

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Suspension Component mounting prescribed area is excessiv...

Post by colinthefox »

It's sometimes not very obvious. It could be that the area being referred to is around the cab steps area. They aren't very structural, but are just about within 300mm of the mounting point for the front suspension strut. That's the diagonal bar with the rubber bushes on the front end, right behind the front wheels. You shouldn't have very far to look, as the prescribed area is only within 300mm from a suspension mounting point.

But you do need to get underneath and look upwards!
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

This will explain it for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQR43OP2Yas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots more info from VOSA and other related agencies:

https://www.youtube.com/user/vosagovuk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I think the motters forget that this van has a chassis and everything is bolted to it. :evil:

Cab steps, sills and panels are just cosmetic :twisted: :twisted:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Except its not a separate chassis and I think thats what they base it on Kev. To all intents and purposes, its one unit, even if better built than most modern stuff.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

CovKid wrote:Except its not a separate chassis and I think thats what they base it on Kev.
OK but still it's not like the suspension relies on the integrity of a cab step wing panel or outer sill...it's a different gauge to the structural stuff

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Agree with that. It seems to have more to do with setting a blanket rule for all MOT testers so theres no doubt about what should be a pass or not. Does seen harsh though. After all, on that basis you could fail on some slightly crusty panel within a prescribed area that common sense says has no effect on suspension integrity but yet some rotted bit of box section on which the mount is fixed and covered in underseal could be absolutely lethal. They are very limited in what they can do with the toffee hammer these days.

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Post by fullsunian »

kevtherev wrote:I think the motters forget that this van has a chassis and everything is bolted to it. :evil:

Kev, the last/ rear 30mm of the sill inner and outer is prescribed area for the rear suspension mounting, so is/would fail if rotten and holed..
Ian
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

fullsunian wrote:
kevtherev wrote:I think the motters forget that this van has a chassis and everything is bolted to it. :evil:

Kev, the last/ rear 30mm of the sill inner and outer is prescribed area for the rear suspension mounting, so is/would fail if rotten and holed..
Ian
If you see MM's post about the repair to the outrigger then I would disagree mate, the sills attach themselves to the thicker outrigger and IMO offer no support.
unless you know or see it differently :D
Last edited by kevtherev on 15 Apr 2014, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

it does Kev at each end,ok in reality i could remove it and it would be more than strong enough, i agree, and as has been stated they are trying to do away with grey areas and individual interpretation, lowest common denominator unfortunately.
but back to the matter, yes as you know/see there is a complex series of supports etc, and they each rely on other parts, the front jp for instance is very thin metal on the insdie of the B post yet it afford a support for the fixing of the main load carrier ,ie; the heavy steel support that comes of the top of the jp itself. so this is how a thin bit of tin can be integral to the whole assembly and its effectiveness
At the rear its more complex, the inner sill (letc forget the middle part of it) runs along the top of the outer rear arm mount and itself forms a box with the outrigger, inamongst this is the outer arm mount and jp ,so now we have it located and held secure we need to be able to transfer the load and support it nfurther, this is done with the heavier plate that runs from the wheel end to the front of the C post and there is also an inverted part that sits just under the tin floor and also fixes to this,
sorry its a bit long winded and lacking in paragraphs :oops:
but i also suspect that they figure that if there is weakness and a bit of rot near to it then it will most likely have some within..
mis sunshines van it better to show the actual construction as that was more involved than lloyds
mm

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

OK I stand corrected.
My point remains, however, that MOT testers have too much zeal in application of this requirement.
I for one want my van to be safe, but I don't want to feel threatened by a bit of bubbly seam rash.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Completely agree with you and the cab step may be within the disttance as may other areas as the crow flies but they are also totaly unrelated to the integrity of the suspension pick ups ,just need to use more enlightened testers

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Mind you, who wants crunch-crusty panels if the vehicle takes a wallop? :D

Take for instance the common rot at lower windscreen and bottom of A pillars - not an MOT failure but as I've remaked before they form an important part in the strength of the front and help protect the occupants in the event of a front end shunt. In the end MOT tests will just be "no holes/rust anywhere".

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

kevtherev wrote:OK I stand corrected.
My point remains, however, that MOT testers have too much zeal in application of this requirement.
I for one want my van to be safe, but I don't want to feel threatened by a bit of bubbly seam rash.

It's the law...zeal or not its black and white and if the man from the ministry turns up and pokes a hole 11" from the rear suspension mount your/ my ass ( the testers) is his to use as he sees fit...I understand the rules and will always give the benefit of doubt on older stuff but rust holes are very hard to explain your way out of..

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

aye and mr ministry man can sit outside your station and view the test live online and that is sort of what mr Orwell was eluding to
mm