Cutting out for a new window

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wolfy

Cutting out for a new window

Post by Wolfy »

Hi folks.

I'm after replacing a sliding window on the drivers side of my van with a louvred window. The louvred window is bigger so I'll need to make a template and cut out a bit more of the body.

My question is by how much ? How much extra on top of the new dimensions do I need on each edge to allow for the seal to fit and to hold the window nice and tight. :idea

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Cutting out for a new window

Post by itchyfeet »

Look at the seal it will be an H shape with a bead on the outside
measure the thickness of the part of the seal that is between the window edge and the metal edge, i.e the horizontal part of the H
thats how much bigger than the window to cut it
remember you can make a hole bigger but not smaller, you dont really want any spare gap except maybe a mm the point of the bead is to allow the seal to be fitted without it and make it tight when fitted.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

Hi there itchyfeet.

It's a different kind of seal, It's the seal that came with the window so I'm thinking I may need the H shaped seal that you mentioned, I've got that type of seal around some of the other windows.

I have fitted windows into the rear of a t25 doka using the seals that came with the window without any problems so I'm hoping I can do the same here. I have someone with the right tools to cut any extra body work out so the size and shape should be alright.

If I measure the equivalent on the original seal to the horizontal part of the H do you think I should be ok ?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Best regards.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Dunno probably best to get a picture up of the seal you are intending to use, sorry inasumed it would be the standard type seal like this for an aftermarket cut in window from the way you described it

http://www.justkampers.com/261-845-321- ... -1992.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cross section drawing is shown rotated its not used in that orientation
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

add 1-2mm extra
the seal is NOT meant to fit tight as above, the whole idea is that the insert expands the seal to all adjacent areas on insertion. but nearly right :lol: and ive had a pedant pill this morning, :rofl
just do not cut the hole till you have the seal in your hand :wink:
mm

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

metalmick8y wrote:add 1-2mm extra
the seal is NOT meant to fit tight as above, the whole idea is that the insert expands the seal to all adjacent areas on insertion. but nearly right :lol: and ive had a pedant pill this morning, :rofl
just do not cut the hole till you have the seal in your hand :wink:
mm

Before the pill wares off lets be clear please mm, are you saying 1-2 mm all the way around ( up to 4mm on overall dimensions) or add 1-2mm to the overall dimensions

The problem i see is that its very easy to cut the hole too big, you mark a line cut to it then measure and you find its bigger as most of is would use a jigsaw which is hard to steer accurately.
so in my opinion go for a hole the same size as the seal with maybe a mm extra [ all around] and if its tight you can make it bigger, you cant make it smaller
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Hehe,I can't help how you cut a hole,I can only tell you what size it should be, I fit a template to a panel and go round with a 1 mm marker, I cut to the outside of the line and it may cross the lone at places so at least 1 mm larger all round and if it goes to near 2 then the seals I use lo k up at that with no issues,
Never used a jigsaw as they are a woodbutchers tool and as you say not the most accurate, especially in my hands if you haven't a panel cutter then use a 1 mm disc and cut diagonaly at the corner and then disc sh 45' andfinnish it,
I have also done then with tin snips with no issues but harder work ...........
mm