Best cheapest way to insulate van

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maslan
80-90 Mem No: 13320

Best cheapest way to insulate van

Post by maslan »

Just removed all wooden panels from inside my van to get ready to paint.

What's the best thing for me to put on the underside of them to insulate.. there's bubble wrap already there but want to find economic way of doing it.

Thanks,
1982 T25 Diesel Engine
Michael

GMAN140
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Best cheapest way to insulate van

Post by GMAN140 »

I was just thinking to myself today do i really need to insulate my van . I have good insulation under the mattress and a good quilt and or sleeping bags as well as a heat source if needed so i should not get cold in the van .
The reason i was thinking about this is i know that some of the stuff used such as loft insulation can cause rust problems ,so maybe i,m better off without it .

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Its hard to insulate without creating rust traps but I got on well with the silver bubble wrap (boiler?) type insulation. All the big DIY stores do it. I wouldn't say it makes it massively warm but it has helped and shuts out a lot of exterior noise on noisy campsites once you get it in everywhere. You can use loft insualtion but it needs to be packed inside pvc bags that you can seal (ducktape will do) - rear side panels about the only place you can do that.

I ran the bubblewrap into battery boxes, inside panels, under front carpets, pretty much anywhere I thought might be a cold surface or let in noise. Better with, than without. I'll do under the dash next time its out.

There isn't really a 'cheap' way to do it but the bubblewrap is as cheap as it gets. Theres a slightly more expensive version that is sticky on one side (for roofing I think) which serves as a great soundproofer and half the price of the proper stuff but I like to be able to remove it if I have to.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Post by baj25 »

Our Autosleeper seems to have fibreglass stuffed in quite a few places from new. So, I guess you are saying this will hold water and cause rust? I guess on a new van with perfect seals this is less of an issue, but gets worse over time? Time to find some big plastic bags I think. When will my to-do list ever shorten! Bri

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Just purchased some of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPER-VAN-IN ... 4ad33fa1d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not sure how it performs yet but will obviously not hold any moisture, as mentioned unprotected fibreglass is bad news as it retains moisture, I used the self adhesive foil on the roof and it worked well and not too bad at around 5 pounds a square meter as it saves on the cost of glue too
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

maslan wrote:Just removed all wooden panels from inside my van to get ready to paint.

What's the best thing for me to put on the underside of them to insulate.. there's bubble wrap already there but want to find economic way of doing it.

Thanks,

I used some stuff [as per covkid's post] that is foil coated bubble wrap. I used spray adhesive to fix it to vertical panels, leaving a small gap all around to allow for any expansion. Seems to have worked well, after nearly 3 years, van stays cooler in the summer and a little warmer in the winter, but the best bit as it does make the van quieter when driving [unless the old woman's in the van too of course :cry: ]

I wouldn't personally use any material that can absorb water though as all it will do is become a giant sponge to give your corrosion issues. I am currently restoring my brother-in-laws van which had loft insulation in it and what looks to be that old fashioned pipe lagging hessian stuff [all done by the conversion firm] and much of it was damp from condensation and had begun to rot the panel work in places. And it was smelly too :roll:

maslan
80-90 Mem No: 13320

Post by maslan »

thank you all, this is great :D
1982 T25 Diesel Engine
Michael

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Just my tip - use duck tape (as far as possible) rather than glueing them in place. That way you can remove in future if need be. With panel cavities you're not looking to cut a piece exactly the same shape as outer panel -but slightly bigger - more a 'box lid' shape so the sides fit the depth and help it stay in place. You'll have to try for fit, trim, try again and so on unitil it fits snug. For doors you'll need to ducktape in place to clear window movement. Do under carpets, under seats, battery boxes etc.

Then prepare for much quieter and moderately warmer van. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

jamiehamy
80-90 Mem No: 10701

Post by jamiehamy »

Remember with foil bubblewrap that it's useless when sandwiched. Best to put it onto the back of the panels before fitting, this will help keep the cold out whilst the wood panelling itself will help keep the warmth in.

Or attach the foil directly to the panels and leave a void in the middle, this doing the opposite.

I put foil directly on my roof and then put stretch carpet on that. I left a bit off and when it snowed, I put the Eberspacher on and left it. Half an hour later, there was one very melted patch nd the rest was still snow, so the foil def works.