To roller or not to bother?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

81AirCooled
80-90 Mem No: 8770

To roller or not to bother?

Post by 81AirCooled »

It looks like I need to sell the van, it's a non runner as the engine is solid so that already knocks most of the value off the van.

Anyhow, I was planning to roller the van with Rustoleum and have already prepped one side of ready for rollering from brown to yellow. My question is is it really going to add enough value to the van to justify the time and effort or rather does a very scruffy half prepped van mean I really need to get at least 1 coat on to make a half decent (€1200+) sale?
1981 2.0l Aircooled ex German post office van coverted to camper.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: To roller or not to bother?

Post by kevtherev »

rollering might make it more attractive, but I wouldn't expect any more money for it.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

If it's the kind of van that's only going to get a grand anyway, then I'd prefer to see it un-painted. Sure, primer any bare bits, stop the surface rust - but I'd rather know there wasn't a load of fresh filler wedged into gaping rust holes under fresh paint. Fresh paint at that price screams "cover-up!"
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RedGus
80-90 Mem No: 11893

Post by RedGus »

Did I miss something? We all spent ages watching John carry out a no-holds-barred rebuild on the engine, to an incredibly high standard. John posted videos of it running perfectly, then loaded it very carefully into a crate. Then, when it came out of the crate a few days later, it was a locked-solid, flame spitting non-runner! What the hell happened in that crate? :shock:

But, seriously though, there MUST be a reasonably rational explanation. I really wouldn't give up and sell the van for a loss after all the work that went into your engine.

Good luck,

James
1982 Aircooled 2.0 CU Devon poptop

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

RedGus wrote:Did I miss something? We all spent ages watching John carry out a no-holds-barred rebuild on the engine, to an incredibly high standard. John posted videos of it running perfectly, then loaded it very carefully into a crate. Then, when it came out of the crate a few days later, it was a locked-solid, flame spitting non-runner! What the hell happened in that crate? :shock:

Hold on a minute - this is THAT engine? Ooops? What the blithering heck?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

81AirCooled
80-90 Mem No: 8770

Post by 81AirCooled »

Yes it's that one. Selling is a last resort obviously and I'll be removing the engine again and retesting before and decision is made for me.
1981 2.0l Aircooled ex German post office van coverted to camper.