Replacing gas struts

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hammondboy
80-90 Mem No: 11839

Replacing gas struts

Post by hammondboy »

I've recently put a Fiamma bike rack on the back of Hugo only to find that with the extra weight the tailgate won't stay up.
So I ordered some 800nm gas struts as advised in another post, which are stronger and should take the weight.
I thought it would just be a case of undoing a couple of bolts to replace them, but looking at it it's not obvious how it's done (I'm a bit of a novice.. be kind)
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Cheers.

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Replacing gas struts

Post by New Kentish Campers »

It's been a while since I last took mine off but if I remember, then you need to carefully remove the u shaped clip and then the end of the strut can be pulled off from the male bolt that's on the bodywork. Dont loose the clip when it pings off! :roll:

hammondboy

Post by hammondboy »

Many thanks. And putting the new one on I guess is the same in reverse? So do the body end first then the tailgate end?

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Yes, that's it. Doesn't matter in what order you do it, but I'd make sure the TG is well supported or it might well land on you nut and its very heavy ... :shock:

Fudgy666
80-90 Mem No: 13188

Post by Fudgy666 »

hammondboy wrote:I've recently put a Fiamma bike rack on the back of Hugo only to find that with the extra weight the tailgate won't stay up.
So I ordered some 800nm gas struts as advised in another post, which are stronger and should take the weight.

I too have just brought a Fiamma bike rack off of Fleabay and hadn't even thought about the extra weight it would add to the tailgate ?

Where did you get your strutts from and what sort of price range are they in ? I'm guessing I'll be shelling out for some new ones too :ok
1982 T25 2.0L Aircooled(CU) with Twin Solex's No idea what version/type of camper conversion

hammondboy

Post by hammondboy »

These are the ones.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360890262009? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Again from Ebay. Haven't put them in yet so can't confirm that they do the job. Will report back once I have. It's the 800nm which is the important bit as this relates to strength. Think the standard ones are 600nm (whatever a nm is???!)

hammondboy

Post by hammondboy »

Gas struts installed and I can proudly confirm that they do hold up a Fiamma bike rack no problem :ok

Fudgy666

Post by Fudgy666 »

hammondboy wrote:Gas struts installed and I can proudly confirm that they do hold up a Fiamma bike rack no problem :ok

Nice work & cheers for the link. Picking my bike rack up tomorrow after work :ok
1982 T25 2.0L Aircooled(CU) with Twin Solex's No idea what version/type of camper conversion

dalester
80-90 Mem No: 10913

Post by dalester »

i'll be getting some of these....I ordered the Brickwerks ones which are supposed to "take you chin off", but won't hold the tailgate with unloaded Fiamma rack.

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Dalester, drop us an e-mail if you have a problem.
Unusual for them not to hold a bike rack up.
Sounds like they maybe duff.
If you bought them in the last 12 months we'll swap them.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

bigladwigan
80-90 Mem No: 9504

Post by bigladwigan »

I bought a Fiamma bike rack and I upgraded the struts, they were shot anyway. Anyhow, as I now tow a trailer I've changed to a towball mounted bike rack and can hardly shut the tailgate cos the struts are so powerful. Oh how I laughed the first time I opened the tailgate after removing the bike rack and got chinned by the door.

As an aside you can play tailgate tennis with other van owners the ball goes miles.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

You don't need "uprated" struts. You only need ones that aren't already knackered.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Not strictly true.
There are several different strengths depending on equipment level.
Double glazing weighs more than an ambulance tailgate.
Glass weighs more than double glazing.
Rear wash wipe adds weight.
The ones we sell should be 800n, the strongest VW sold.
So, in most cases they are uprated.
That said we've had some rogue 680n delivered, we didn't notice and a few slipped out before we did, so the poor lad above who is struggling with his bike rack I suspect he's one of the unfortunate few who received the 680n ones before we realised they were not what we ordered.
8)
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

I'm only going by what i've experienced on the T5. The struts hold the gate and rack up no problem, uprating the struts is to hold the gate up while bikes are loaded. I alwas planned on doing mine but found I could hold the gate up easily enough for how long I needed to access the back.
Also, closing the gate with uprated struts isnt as hard as you may imagine, once the holding force was broken.
A bout £40 for a pair I think

You can get struts easily enough, just need the dimensions of the old strut. You can have them fully charged and release the pressure to suit. Easy enough if you take your time
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Fudgy666

Post by Fudgy666 »

AdrianC wrote:You don't need "uprated" struts. You only need ones that aren't already knackered.

Agreed :ok Got around to fitting my new bike rack this weekend, and no new strutts required :ok

Finally . . . . . . .something that doesn't have to be replaced on the van :roll: