Advice on Restoration / Respray / Fit Out

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lozhedgehog
80-90 Mem No: 8617

Advice on Restoration / Respray / Fit Out

Post by lozhedgehog »

Hi,

Firstly I'm sorry if this post has been covered many times before in some way or another!

Lucy our 1987 1.9 Petrol van is in need of some fairly extensive TLC.
The hope WAS for us to do plenty of the work ourselves but time!!!!

The least it will require a good repair of areas of rust (windscreen corners, tailgate bottom seam etc), new window seals etc. and then a respray...
We also fancied an internal overhaul too (roof lining door cards etc) if there were any pennies left.

Lucy has a new engine gearbox etc so is pretty mechanically sound and the last MOT the guy (who is a Splitty owner but a bit of a "Splitty Only" type) said that the whole underside is very clean in most parts.

Cut to the chase. We would appreciate advice / recommendations on somewhere who would firstly do the bodywork / respray. Obviously there are always the usual bodywork places around but we wanted somewhere more "in the know".

We have an idea of a budget too but how far that would stretch is is yet to be seen. We are looking to having it done after the camping season this year and don't really mind location but ideally in the N.W (we are in Kendal)

Thanks for reading and even more thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Lawrence

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Advice on Restoration / Respray / Fit Out

Post by Plasticman »

ah, this year for start of season in a couple of months :shock: :lol:
post up some detail picks of the areas that are at least visible to you and someone will be along shortly to advise
mm

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

My advice =

Get a written estimate of total cost = essential. (I know it will only be an estimate as the place cannot be sure what they will find, but they will then have a hard time justifying any massive increase in costs).

Get a written estimate of time scale = essential.

Get testimonials from other customers they have done major work for. If they are any good they will be happy to supply you with this information = essential.

Go and look at the work progressing just as often as you can (~weekly).

Make sure they take LOTS of pictures all the way through the job, not just "before and after"

How do I come by these recommendations ?
Have a "speed read" of this lot = http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... hilit=hike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :evil: :evil: :run

E D I T = spelling of the word "through" :roll:
Last edited by ghost123uk on 22 Mar 2014, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Hehe I would fail most of those,lol
But to the op,its good advice
mm

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Between £4K and £5K (+ VAT = £4,800 to £6000) should be about right. The problem with estimates is they are based on what they can see. The more they uncover the more work needs doing so the cost goes up.
£3K+VAT seems the starting point for outside work (including a few replacement panels) with re-spray. If you are limited on funds I suggest you focus on the outside bits first. As with all these things keep control of the budget!
:ok

lozhedgehog

Post by lozhedgehog »

Thanks guys,

Had a look through the posts re getting quotes, good advice there.
Going to take off the winter wraps next weekend so will post some pics of the worst bits (I can see!)

When it comes to cost, what is mentioned in the other post and above ^^^ is actually a bit less than we had expected! which is a good start I suppose. Of course as you say, there is only one way to find out exactly how much it will end up!

If anyone knows of reputable places in the NW worth having a chat with that would be cool. The more places to ask the merrier.

As I say I don't mind travelling... But as is mentioned, if I go down every week of 2 more local is better eh!

:-)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

dont get so hung up on local, :lol: oh and to throw a spanner in the works if your van was with me then part of the deal is you dont see it again till its done :wink:
mm

spongebob1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by spongebob1 »

PM me :ok
If it makes you smile !! then do more of it !!

lozhedgehog

Post by lozhedgehog »

Mm

To be fair I like the idea of a "pimp my ride" kind of reveal after it's done :ok

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well its not quite like that as you get 500+ pickies online live so to speak its just that you dont get to "touch and such" during the process,just make sure you get the underlying work done as good as you can
mm :wink:

spongebob1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by spongebob1 »

My pride and joy is at Prestige Panel Repairs at Kendal you cant get any nearer to yourselves than that.They are doing a wonderful job and they dont mind how many times you visit to see how it is all going and if you change your mind about things. :rofl ... Pop over and see them they wont mind it should be painted by Monday night i am going over on Monday to see his progress cant wait get excited every visit.... :D I gave them two disposable cameras to take loads of photographs as they go along and i have seen many that they have taken on there mobile phones. .... There is another good fella at Morcambe aswell.
If it makes you smile !! then do more of it !!

lozhedgehog

Post by lozhedgehog »

Prestige Panel Repairs? That's the one at Gatebeck near Endmoor isn't it! 600 yards from my house?

lozhedgehog

Post by lozhedgehog »

Well that may have put an end to any restoration. Had an engine fire last night and it's looking pretty rubbish in the engine bay now. The engine cover however is amazing and saved the rest of the van. All down to insurers now.
Not a great day :-(

sinshelley
80-90 Mem No: 10504

Post by sinshelley »

really sorry to here that :(
holdsworth villa 3 1.9dg

what we do in life echos in eternity or in the back of your van

lozhedgehog

Post by lozhedgehog »

Not so nice :-S

The insurance wanted a quote so I've spoken to Volkstech in Morecambe who are gonna come and have a look to see and possibly quote!