Rear wheel arch repair panel Newbie

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PeeSG
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rear wheel arch repair panel Newbie

Post by PeeSG »

Hi all

Want to replace rear arch repair panel, on both sides I think, when I cut out, how do I go about it and what is the best way to fit the new one?

Want to do it properly. I see it's bonded inside, so break the bonds, is it spotted at the seams and do I drill those out first or cut away the panel and then drill out?

Would love some help and advice,

Phil

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Rear wheel arch repair panel Newbie

Post by Plasticman »

search my builds, if only the asrch then cut the arch away about 2mm below the seam,then cut the sealant away, wood chisel will do if you dont have an U/S blade :lol: then you identify the spots and drill them through from underneath,then remove the remnant of arch,
mm

PeeSG

Post by PeeSG »

Sweet mm

I think I will be replacing a bit more

What is u/s blade?

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

then you need to post up good pickies or you may get advised to cut the wrong bit..................... :wink:
mm

PeeSG

Post by PeeSG »

various pics from different angles of both sides.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

wirth ref to your commenty on the other thread, then have a look through the last half dozen vans ive done as most of what you have wrong is covered step by step , dont mean you have to foillow my way burt it should give you an idea of how and where stuff fits
mm

PeeSG

Post by PeeSG »

im up for following your way MM,

it looks like you are a quality fella.

PSG

PeeSG

Post by PeeSG »

Ok so i took the plunge.

Before Pic:

Full tall arch replacement ordered, and rear corner plus some more fuel line to replace the breather pipes, think that is where we have na air leak, as after a week it is difficult to start and we are thinking that the fuel is running back toward the tank. Probably just another thing on the list of trial and error processes that we go through. Last thing will be the coil.

Cuts made, now just unpicking the seams. Need a little advice as to where to pick certain areas

pic 1: Not sure how to unpick this part, there seems to be a big ol bodge. Suggestions welcome.

Pic 2: Edge of sliding door opening to lower arch panel, there is a return on the seam here where it meets a face of the sliding door reveal, is this part just bonded? (lower part)

Pic 3: Thinking about bonding this part. Starting with cutting tabs out, and leaving a few tabs in for adhesive to bond to. Obviously knocking the tabs back so they dont bulge the panel. What have you guys done here?

Pic 4: Same question as pic 2, is this part bonded to the face of the reveal? not got my new panel yet so not sure if these tabs/flanges are going to be present.

Pic 5: The big picture, not cut it all out as dont have full panel here yet. will be judging my cuts carefully as i dont want to mess it up, this bus is so solid i can only do it that justice.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

study this
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=119181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
need more info then ask
mm :ok

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

i will do a series of drawings later tonight and this will show the way I do them and be easier than tryimg to explain
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

here you go , it should be self explanatory.if not please ask, but if you dont do it this way you end up with a great fat ugly seam and gap and the other thing is that thius way you have the welds near to the outside which helps keeping things neat and prevents much seam flexing
mm :D
it should rotate if pee bucket is to be beleived if not i will redo or someone can re-E D I T :(

PeeSG

Post by PeeSG »

Cheers @metalmick8y

had a good look at the thread you posted, i think i get the jist of it. I removed the panels a bit differrent to your drawing, ie removed top panel then drilled out spots, then i was left with arch/arch lip which i trimmed back to 5-10mm. I can still drill through holes for new spots on new panel.

Question - when you welded 10-15mm strip to seam on new panel to create false inner seam for spotting to existing arch, did you get any distortion or cause much upset to the outside face?

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Ah sorry,I thought you were just doing an arch,
You need to grind off the paint then be very qui k,place a damp cloth under it and only need tacks every 6 inch or so and make the tacks on the top edge of it

PeeSG

Post by PeeSG »

@metalmick8y

Still not sure hwo to cut the panel at the upper left corner where it has the tab, same at the bottom. Do i just cold pry these off?

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

take a picky of the areas your speaking of
mm