Rear windscreen wiper

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johnfevs
80-90 Mem No: 12879

Rear windscreen wiper

Post by johnfevs »

I don't have a rear windscreen wiper on my van. It's a 1980 air cooled with a 2.0 cu engine.
Would it have had one originally ??
Is it possible to fit one and if so what parts would I need and are they easy to get hold of.

Not desperate to get one but would have helped when I was out for a drive today

Any thoughts, thanks
Morris. 1980 Air Cooled 2.0 CU pop top. Bristol
1.9 tdi T5 T30 transporter. Daily drive.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Rear windscreen wiper

Post by R0B »

TBH I have one on my velle but never use it.Not worth the hassle of doing one from scratch IMO.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I do use mine but must admit it is only 4 or 5 times a year. The worst time is when the roads have been salted and it drying white otherwise it is viewable through. I don't think that it would be high on my list of priorities to have if I didn't have one though.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Aberdeenbus
80-90 Mem No: 6846

Post by Aberdeenbus »

We'll I did retro fit one to my 82 van, I found the parts on an 87 being broken.
As best as I can remember from the front
Fuse box relay n wiring to wiper stalk
Wiper stalk
Wiring from wiper stalk to rear of van
Washer bottle for rear n pipe for washer bottle to washer jet
Rear wiper motor and mount
Rear wiper arm and blade.

It's a fair chore to do but brings a smile to your face when finished, then you realise you only use it now and then lol

Cheers
Si

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

dont even bother with the rear view, waste of time, we have nice big door mirrors and better to use IMO
mm

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

Would it have had one originally ??

only as an option so probably not if its not there now

from factory the original wires up the drivers pillar and go along the roof but depends how good a job you want ?

don't buy one of these , one of them go for the whole kit , expect to pay 50-100 for everything .

if you get one from an early ( pre 86) van it should be plug and play , after 86 you may need to swap a few plugs / wires

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Just give the back window a coat of Rain-X now and again. It'll do just as good, if not a better job. I can understand having a rear wiper on a car where the glass is not as vertical, but its a waste of effort on these. I sealed mine up long ago and I've never missed it.

I said this once before but its greatest use was as a selling point in VW showrooms - i.e: "And for an extra grand, heres our luxury version Sir" - something VW did with the Beetle too, pointing out an extra bit of chrome or padding here and there to denote it as a 'GL' or 'luxury' version when really, the additions were mostly cosmetic.

A heated rear screen absolutely, but the only time I've had to clear rear screen of water/muck, all the windows needed it (like first thing some mornings). If you're determined, you'll fit one but they're more trouble than they're worth, honest. I found that water-repellent coatings like Rain-X are far more effective - especially on motorways. It also helps reduce the scraping needed on frozen mornings.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

willpom
80-90 Mem No: 13043

Post by willpom »

CovKid wrote:Just give the back window a coat of Rain-X now and again. It'll do just as good, if not a better job. I can understand having a rear wiper on a car where the glass is not as vertical, but its a waste of effort on these. I sealed mine up long ago and I've never missed it.

How did you seal it up out of interest? I've just bought a replacement tailgate that has a wiper and want to remove it as I can't be faffed with all the wiring & washer hose.