Doing up the rear

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Re: Doing up the rear

Post by Smcknighty »

Went further further back! Now this repair job is linking up with the wheel arch repair. Fiddly and slow going as was trying to save too much medal.. Near side will be easier - should have just cut it all out to start with.. Photos tomorrow when there will be even less metal attached..! Will probably have some more questions at that point..

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Another big gap with no progress due to work and rain. Had another crack at the back today though whilst waiting for the Rac to turn up. Found a 2mm skim of filler across the whole right hand corner - sanding it back to see what's underneath. Looks like it was hiding rusty seams.

Is there a half height rear corner panel available?

Like this:

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/ ... 3368A.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But only the lower bit? Failing that how hard are these to put in?

Other option is I put in a new piece of metal for the seams, rest of the panel seems sound

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Another good hour this am

Pictures aren't great due to where the sun is..

This is the side of the existing rear panel - it seems to be mostly rust..

Can see on the inside of the rear corner panel where bits have been let in before.

So.. I can either let bits in again or replace the rear corner panel.

I'm tempted by just letting bits in again - only thing that sways me is this bit

I can't see how I'm going to do a good job here without at least peeling back the corner panel..

mm any thoughts?? It's not a cheap panel that's for sure

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Anyone ever fitted one of these?

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/ ... 13368.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

the link to the panel is ok , ive not fitted one as i make my own that go higher up , but they should work , trouble is you may need to go higher, try for a cut of some body,somebody :rofl sorry no pun meant
the picky with the strut fastened to , well that is a very thin panel and a pig to remove but i think kevtherev has a full rear 1/4 and the thin inner bit, so if you want to do it right there you go
mm

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Ok thanks - I think I have a plan now.. I'm going to try cutting it out and shaping a patch. I'm thinking of cutting a good 15cm above and below, drilling the spot welds, taking the piece out and then trying to remake it. If I screw it up badly I'm in no worse a place and then I will ask Kev for his cut!! At least if I do it now I know whether I can make it work..

Do you know if the mount for the strut is attached to anything structural behind or is it just sitting on the small bit?

One day soon the cutting out will end and the sticking it all back will start...

Cheers for the advice as always!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

kev dont have a cut , he has a complete new rear 1/4 and the part panels that make it all up.
the thick plate the strut affixes is the mount for it, this plate is in turn spotted to the area you see and to the lip under the seal , plenty strong enough, but be carefull you dont weld it back too far out etc
mm

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

So last night I thought I had a plan to deal with this.. And was thinking yeah I'll slice it out, joggle the edges, put a new bit in..

Looking at it this morning it's the worlds most difficult piece to work on - however the van gods were smiling, I thought I'd attackit with the screw driver to see how far it goes - it's surface rust only!! I really thought it had come through from the back.. Pulled out the wire brush and vactan. I'm going to leave it like that and count my blessings..

As I had the vactan out I did some patches on the rear hatch, I attacked the bits where the chassis members go into the rear seat bulkhead - again surface rust. A little bit of vactan goes a long way so I then went on a hunt for any other small patches where I wasn't going to be welding stuff in..

Other than that piece of luck I spent most of the morning melting underseal off as part of my prep for the right wheel arch work.

I have the large right hand panel coming tomorrow along with some metal - now I'm almost at the end of the cutting on the right side I'm hoping to be sticking it all back in this weekend.. Will be good to get the welder going again..

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Oh - forgot to ask - I'm assuming best way to get access to stick the new panel in is to take the sliding door off? I'm guessing that's the route of attack?

Itsblue
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Itsblue »

ive used one of the schofield rear corner repair panels pic below bit blurry ! :) but was a fairly good fit i took inspiration from mm and pluged a inch wide strip on the inside of the upper corner then plug welded though to it .
Aircooled 2.0cu 1982 Danbury Autoroof , not so Auto anymore 

Itsblue

Post by Itsblue »

as i did with the upper joint to .

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Nice it's bigger than it looks on their website. I wasn't going to bother but having seen that I'm having second thoughts

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Is this a combo of this http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/ ... 13262.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/ ... 13368.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ignore my bigger than it looked comment - I thought all the silver bits were new panel

Itsblue

Post by Itsblue »

the first pic is of the original top of the lower corner panel and the new schofield repair welded in to place , the repair panel is about 3 inches tall , the second pic is before adding the repair , just to clarify !!

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Nearly finished cutting the rot out..

This was a strange place for rust - just a bit of crust part way through

Took this bit out as well

I'm still enjoying it but by god it's been a long old haul to get this far..