Doing up the rear

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Doing up the rear

Post by Smcknighty »

Been looking at doing this for a while. Been put off as its a tight squeeze and it's very dirty and brown.

Looking for advice and tips from those who've been there and got the t shirt.

Anyway this weekend I managed to free up some space and I dived right in.

Yup, I've got some rusty bits to deal with in and around the engine bay.

My plan is to treat all areas I can, I'm then going to move to doing up the middle and finally up front.

By treat, I'm going to rust treat everything that isn't serious, fix some holes that are and generally make sure all is good. Then I'm going to waxoyl and new insulation.

Smcknighty

Re: Doing up the rear

Post by Smcknighty »

These are the bits I'm trying to deal with

This one is the worst, didn't really call for the engine out, more the innards but I'm doing it as part of this batch.

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

This rash stuff I guess is pretty common

It looks like it's caused either by water coming in from the wheel arch or if not the by water creeping along from the shelves.

I'm planning to attack it with the grinder and then see what it looks like then. I'm thinking it may just be surface rust, if not then I guess its a patch

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Got this shelf hole - originally I was thinking of replacing the whole shelf, looking at it though the rot doesn't go too far

Is it worth just doing a small patch? I've prodded all around and it's pretty solid otherwise

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

The shelf the other side has a hole nearer the outer panel - photo of that didn't work, will take another tomorrow

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

This bit scares me

Really hoping that it's just surface rust..

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

This was the only concern under neath the original 1982 diesel noise sound proofing

I think it's just surface rust - it's where the chassis enters the the cross member

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

That's the start of it anyway, will post more pics as I progress. Got to learn how to weld next..

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

nice pickies , good to see you bagged the cv's, mucky stuff grease, you want some links to how ive done them and the extent tyou may find it has spread to ??
mm

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Yeah please, more tips the better. The vans a keeper so I'm willing to make drastic cuts to get the rust out. At least all this stuff is invisible mending whilst I get the hang of welding.

the wheel arch looks like its rotted its way down into the sill, I kind of see that coming, it also looks like someone has been there before. I'm really hoping I can save the exterior panel, I'm not sure I want that welding challenge yet.. Might save it for later..

Moving down the van I have o/side sill near drivers door, windscreen holes near the offside, both cab steps to do. And who knows what else is lurking.. So I can see the welding going on for a while, figured I'd cut my teeth on the hidden stuff first.

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Found this

So - I'm guessing the bit on this photo where the rectangle is cut out will have rotted - it's below the holes in the wheel arch and above the holes in the sill!

So - should I cut an exploratory hole here to see what's what?

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

well have a read through some of these, they are not complete ,nor the be all and end all but enough pickies of all the common areas as you will find on yours
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=88094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=100930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=84062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=114490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this was particularly bad on one side hehe
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=110336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=93497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if theres bits that are not covered in these then shout :rofl
mm

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Thanks for the links I'll take a look. Didn't get much done today just a little more disassembling. Found this shocker

This is the 240 v feed to the buzzing box of doom. There is what looks like speaker cable attached to it, this was then led out from the bench seat next to the water tank where it just sat and went nowhere. Just ends sitting there waiting to shock someone..

The speaker wire is soldered to the mains wire - great. The joint is insulated using masking tape - not great. I can understand someone doing that on 12 volts as a temporary emergency measure, but to goto the effort of soldering it and then wrap it in masking tape!

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Thanks for the links I'll take a look. Didn't get much done today just a little more disassembling. Found this shocker

This is the 240 v feed to the buzzing box of doom. There is what looks like speaker cable attached to it, this was then led out from the bench seat next to the water tank where it just sat and went nowhere. Just ends sitting there waiting to shock someone..

The speaker wire is soldered to the mains wire - great. The joint is insulated using masking tape - not great. I can understand someone doing that on 12 volts as a temporary emergency measure, but to goto the effort of soldering it and then wrap it in masking tape!

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

The trukkwagon looks like what I'm doing. It also tells me what's behind the cooker when I take it out!

I'm looking forward to the challenge. Found one flaw in my plan this morning. I like to do a couple of hours work pre work - was ok when I was doing the engine, however as I'm going to be welding outside there's going to be a few kids going to school with arc eye if I follow that plan. Will stick to lunchtime and just blinding the local cat population and the postie.. What do people do? Put up signs? Was thinking of practising my welds in the back garden till I realised I'd blind the rabbits..