Doing up the rear

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: Doing up the rear

Post by what2do »

Just a little tip that may be of worth. I see that you've begun to remove some of the vast quantities of factory applied underseal in order to expose clean/rusty metal. It appears as though you may have used a wire brush on a grinder, personally I get along better with a hot air gun and a scraper to remove the bulk of it. The problem with the wire wheel/grinder method is that it flicks it about where you don't always want it and you can only access areas that the diameter of the wheel will permit.

Just my tuppence worth....
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

Today I made some real progress.

Had been trying to save the battery tray as I thought if I sandblasted it I might be able to save it. Was making a real pigs ear of slowly slowly removing it using Dremel.

That and other bits of getting to grips with things blew Saturday away. Sunday was pretty wet.

Monday though

Decided I would probably be unhappy with the hacked around battery tray. Cut it out and then the chopping begins!

Have removed the bottom two inches along the rusty engine bay bit. Ground back and removed all traces of rust. Think this will go back as three patches. It's all 1mm steel so I will need a bit of practise before putting it back.

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Thought I might get away with this small patch on the shelf rather than replacing as the rest seems good.

Stating to doubt that - you can see the rust patch on the vertical piece it that I blew through with the flap wheel. I could cut out another patch maybe but I'm starting to suspect the rest of the shelf is on the way out as well so figure whilst I'm here I will put another in.

That's a cut for another day though.. Covered it all up in weld through primer for now to keep the rot under control.

Quite satisfying playing with the grinder..!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

last picky, you need to get rid of that rotten vertical bit too,
and 1mm steel ?? 1.25-1.5,
nice to see crap cut out
mm

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Cool I'll order 1.5 will be easier to weld..

I'm thinking of getting replacement battery shelf now as I'm thinking there is more rot on the underneath I can't see yet.

so will tidy that end once the schofields piece turns up. May wait on the order as I think I might need a new wheel arch once I start cutting around there.

Rain appears to be forecast for the next five days now which will slow things down a bit..

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Storms and work took out most of feb.. Back on track now

What2d is right, hot air gun is the way to go for getting rid of underseal. It's a slow process mind!

I've been practising welding like a demon. I've joined some 1mm butt welds, hoping that the 1.5mm real thing will now be so much easier.

First of three bits of metal for the engine bay cut to shape, tomorrow am if the weather holds it's going to be welded in. I reckon once I'm over the welding fear things will pick up pace quite a lot. Of course if this first bit don't go in well I'm back to YouTube welding school

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Lucky break from work..

And

It's not the best welding ever but I'm off and running!

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

show me some practice bits, as that looks like too low a setting as in lack of penetration, was the welder making spluttering stuttering sounds as opposed to crisp buzz
mm

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

It's bad right.. It's actually a large amount of tacks joined together rather than any attempt at doing a continuous weld hence the real lack of consistency. First attempt nerves... Plus rushing.. Plus not realising I hadn't cleared the paint off the top bit till half way through. I'm going to grind it flat then fill the gaps with more tacks. I'm just pleased I didn't blow holes.. Practise pieces are better but still not great. I can do some awesome looking welds on pieces of metal when I'm not joining them though!

On the whole though I was just pleased I'd started.

I will take some shots of the back tomorrow - should show penetration - it's strong enough that I can't snap it and there are heat shapes showing the other side - let me know what you think though. It's certainly far from great.

Luckily I'm working this evening so should have some time in the morning to do some work on it.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

nah, your learning but i would spend more time joinig stuff on the bench, i know what you say ref blowing holes , its a fine line and only practice will get you there
.just do not give up..
mm

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

No giving up here - this is year two of the grudge match between me and van Damne (damn van..) last year it was man vs diesel, this year it's man vs tin worm. Next year it may be man vs soft furnishings which might be the undoing of me..

I revisited my work of yesterday

Ground it back

And gave it another going over

Feels a lot better

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

yes ,looks a lot more like as well
mm :ok

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Took a day off to be with the daughter over half term and also have a morning crack at the van

Head down for 4.5 hours, bit between my teeth so forgot to take inbetween photos

Stuck my triangular bit in (welding not pretty but appears solid) - blew a bit of a hole which I will have to deal with (how?..)

Also did plug welds and ground it back. I've covered it with weld thru primer to keep it shielded for now.

There are holes to the side of my plug weld that appeared when I ground back. I will have another go at tomorrow am - I'm thinking just give it another blast alongside to fill the hole.

Once I fit the piece to the left I'm planning to trim along the bottom to make it all look uniform and prettier

Also made good progress getting the tray out, hopefully fitting that will be tomorrow's challenge.

I'm enjoying it but it seems like little progress for the time I spent and there's still a lot to go! Hopefully I will pick up the pace soon

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

your getting there, dont make the mistake of only JUST removing the basic minimum rot, always go back to decent good metal its thicker and welds better as well,with weld thru , make sure it is completely dry before welding or it makkes a pig of a job
with your left patch ,you should make as you did but when you have it fitting ok snip the lower edge neatly then weld, and on the subject of puddle welding use an 8mm hole and wind the mig up
mm

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Went further further back! Now this repair job is linking up with the wheel arch repair. Fiddly and slow going as was trying to save too much medal.. Near side will be easier - should have just cut it all out to start with.. Photos tomorrow when there will be even less metal attached..!