Fitting Rear Inertia Seat Belt

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jeffj
80-90 Mem No: 11280

Fitting Rear Inertia Seat Belt

Post by jeffj »

Fitted rear belt in LMS Komet today. Helen purchased belt from JK part number J13005.

Removed side panel and this is what you get behind. Inertia block will fit in void.
Highlighted three existing holes which will use to mount inertia block. Made some stiffening plates to go either side of vertical panel to support inertia block. The one hole and two bolts to right of timber is the stiff and mounting point already in for the original lap belt.

2 stiffening plates. one 50mm x 160mm x 8mm thick to fit inside void. Other only 2 mm thick to spread the load.
Central hole to mount inertia block is 13mm outside holes are 10mm. Drilled out holes in vertical panel to match plates made.

Plates and inertia block fitted. Used 8mm plate for inside void as this gave a flush surface to mount inertia block. Bolts will be hidden behind panel when refitted.

Had fitted the top connection earlier when trying static belts in so have no good photos of this. Will try and describe what I did.
Made a 6mm thick plate 50mm x 50mm and drilled and tapped this for seat belt bolt. Removed the exterior air vent from van to give me access to behind panel.
Removed carpet trim from inside.
Picked location to drill knowing I could access back to slide in plate. Drilled 13mm hole. Slide in plate and fitted bolt. To make this permanent drilled two holes above and below for pop rivets to make the plate a permenant fixing. You can now remove bolt without losing backing plate. Refitted exterior vent and reglued carpet trim inside and now ready to complete fitting of belt.
Jeff
1979 Bays Westfalia x 2 & Devon
1973 Beetle 1303
1961 Chevrolet Corvair 95 Pick Up

jeffj

Re: Fitting Rear Inertia Seat Belt

Post by jeffj »

Seat belt fitted to its three mountong points. Reused lower front mounting point from lap belt. Inertia block has to be mounted level for it to work correctly.
Tested and working okay.

Now have to work out how to fit the belt through the side panel. Marked line of belt on side panel for cutting of slot to allow belt to fit through.

To make this a neat job paid a visit to my local scrapyard to find this. Can anyone guess what it is off?
First time been in a scrapyard for a while and he was not keen to let me wander round to look for part wanted. Anyway after speaking to his boss he said as it was Xmas he would give me 15 minutes to have a look round. It was like being at work as I had to wear a hiviz vest and hard hat. Was surprised I never had to do and induction?

Made a template for cutting of hole in panel.

Hole cut and belt guide fitted.
Jeff
1973 Beetle 1303

jeffj

Post by jeffj »

Seat belt threaded through panel and panel refitted. Seat belt now anchored at it three locations. Lower bolts also covered by trim panel. Can anyone spot the mistake???

The locking catch was also refitted to the original lap belt mounting point in floor. Belt secured in position around baby seat base.

Belt from rear of van. Guide around belt has worked well and is also the right colour. Job done.

Now just waiting for Helen to come and collect van and inspect work. How the curtains coming on?
Jeff
1973 Beetle 1303

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Sincere thanks Jeff and Mark, great that I can now travel in the van with the little lady next to me. 80-90 at its best.

:ok
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

Mark Foss
80-90 Mem No: 4088

Post by Mark Foss »

Well done Jeff on the completion, looks very neat!
T25 Tintop homebrew interior
1.9 DG late engine