Ok, i am going to say this very quickly...

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Miss Syd
80-90 Mem No: 10257

Ok, i am going to say this very quickly...

Post by Miss Syd »

cos I am still wincing and cringing (you'll see why, read on...). Someone vandalised my van with a tin of dark blue gloss paint. (sharp intake of breath!) I spent 5 and a half hours yesterday scraping and scrubbing and have removed the bulk of it. There are loads and loads of tiny spots still left all over but I had lost the will to live by tea time last night and just couldn't face starting all over again today. I am not particularly looking for any ranting or any sympathy (believe me - there is nothing that can be said that I haven't already said!), just some advice please. I was thinking that it might be a case of getting the T-cut out and just keeping at it - am I right? Any shortcuts? Thanks
Home is where you park it!

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Re: Ok, i am going to say this very quickly...

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Oh no! That's awful :shock:

Not sure what to suggest but I hope you catch the bar stewards.
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Not a good day for you, I feel so sorry for you. We all spend a lot of time and sweat on our vans to enjoy them, then some low life does this!
I would suggest a "run razor" normally used to remove paint runs when spray painting cars. With any luck the spots of paint will be higher than the surrounding paint and can with care be shaved off. I would use T cut sparingly as on a cloth it will cover an area larger than you are trying to smooth and rub away paint all around the problem spot.
Hope you are able to repair the damage.
Keep smiling :) think of the good times to come in your van.
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

I had that happen to me so I sought advice. Use nail varnish remover lightly. It worked for me and I got the advice from an expert. It works as long as you don't leave the damage too long. Do it tomorrow.
:ok
Last edited by Ralf85 on 14 Nov 2013, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Do you know what sort of paint it is? If it's normal domestic gloss paint then white spirit might soften it up or even remove it altogether if the spots are small. And it won't affect the original paint (not sure about that if you've repainted with Rustoleum for instance). Use the soft side of a washing up sponge to get a bit of 'grip' without risking damage to the underlying paint.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

meggles

Post by meggles »

Just a thought: Could the tiny spots be paint left in 'craters' if your van's paint had an orange peel effect finish? If so I reckon you may need to flat and polish, depending on how deep the said craters are. However, you really need to know what paint was used and then deal with it with the appropriate solvent. Maybe a local body shop could give you some advice? Hope you get it sorted.

Miss Syd

Post by Miss Syd »

thanks guys, I shall try some of those suggestions. Much appreciated.

xpertbert
80-90 Mem No: 12900

Post by xpertbert »

Best of luck sorting the paint. The low life little s h i t s. What the hell do they get out of that...

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Local Polish car wash, they normally whack on TFR at my place.Alternatively get some panel wipe and rub hard. What's left just mop off :ok

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

If they've only just done it in the last day or two, it won't have properly "set". WORK QUICKLY.

Try washing a part of it very thoroughly. You might be lucky and it's water-based.

If not, it's oil-based. Try "washing" it with a thinners-soaked rag. You won't affect the "proper" paint, but you should get the new stuff off quite easily.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Not your normal sort of vehicle vandalism. Sounds like this is someone with a particular grudge against you. You probably know who this is, if you think about it.....
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Daisy
80-90 Mem No: 4298

Post by Daisy »

If your paintwork is good Machine polish the paintwork (assuming you have the kit, can get the kit or know somebody that can) thus removing a minuscule amount of clear coat and the offending paint spots, if done properly this should leave you with nice even paintwork with minimal swirls which will respond real well to wax polishing and sealing

Only attempt this if you know what you are doing particularly with a rotary polisher (Danger of overheating and burning the paintwork), that said you should be ok with a DA but whatever you use you really need to know what depth the paint is in order not to remove to much .

Whatever you do I wish you all the best with it.
You`re only meant to blow the bloody doors

T25- you were only supposed to weld the bloody sills

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Have you removed the offending paint yet? The longer you leave it the more difficult it is to remove.

My previous camper was sprayed as were walls around our estate by two boys about 10 years old, who nobody knew, who thought it was fun to do. No grudge just stupidity.
:)

Miss Syd

Post by Miss Syd »

Thanks everyone. I am on with it. And am trying not to speculate upon the reason why.... :roll:

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

I wouldn't advise you using thinners on this. Reason being, yes it wont normally affect factory paint, but, if the van has ever had any paintwork done, in cellulose or a single pack acrylic, thinners WILL soon take that with it. If its had 2 pack paint put on it, then thinners should, should, be ok, but be very careful. Try white spirit if its oil based paint used by the vandals, or some water-based panel wipe, which any good paint factor or friendly bodyshop will able to supply. And as the others have said, do it all sooner rather than later!

Good luck with it. :)