Front windscreen panel repair cost quote Help ?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: two body work questions !

Post by Plasticman »

repair bits wont sort that out,
make sure you get the correct upper panal and dash etc out and dont let them weld it up on the outside like some bodgers ive seen,
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Re: Front windscreen panel repair cost quote Help ?

Post by Plasticman »

err look can you keep this lot on one thread, ask a mod to merge them, ive replied to the other as its the pertinent one
mm

sternal
80-90 Mem No: 13349

Post by sternal »

...only really asking if its a good price for the job £300 + parts

Found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-OE-Quality ... 27cd68defe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apparently made in denmark

id rather keep costs down tbh as i have to many other projects on the go and cant really justify another £500 on this...so the question is if I left it and filled with.... ???? and come back to it next year...any recommendations for a quick fix ?
1.7 KY diesel ex Deutsche Post van

sternal

Re: two body work questions !

Post by sternal »

ah with you now mm !

will get it merged !

cheers

to add

id rather keep costs down tbh as i have to many other projects on the go and cant really justify another £500 on this...so the question is if I left it and filled with.... ???? and come back to it next year...any recommendations for a quick fix ?

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

my recommendation would be take the screen out and see how bad the problem is,if you dont need to fit the new panel you may be able to get a mobile welder to repair it,a bit of filler and some paint might be a cheaper option.

sternal

Post by sternal »

my recommendation would be take the screen out and see how bad the problem is,if you dont need to fit the new panel you may be able to get a mobile welder to repair it,a bit of filler and some paint might be a cheaper option.

in theory great idea but I dont fancy taking out the screen nor do I know how and if I did I may well be left with a van with no screen a can of worms and no way of then getting it to the body shop...

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

fazzer wrote:my recommendation would be take the screen out and see how bad the problem is,if you dont need to fit the new panel you may be able to get a mobile welder to repair it,a bit of filler and some paint might be a cheaper option.
It needs anew panal no point bodging what's left and doing it again in a year

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

i understand what your saying MM no point bodging it,as we both welders to us it would be a cheap fix but i wouldnt want to part with £500. :shock:

sternal

Post by sternal »

good advice there and by covering with plastic to stop the water getting in is probably making the rust even worse as its trapping the moisture in.

cheers guys I know whats gotta be done !

btw as its your field( metalmick8y & fazzer ) is the price about right ? what would be charging ?

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Fi ed cost either way is painting and screen rubber Nd fitting, then.cost of panal v repair bits,a bot more time to do the whole panal v bodging a repair as iv e seen with big lumps of migging ground ba k then filler and if the shape isn't don't it leaks loads and in your case the front is also gone below any repair part.I would refuse to take on that sort of work, oh the price quoted is about right,
mm

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

merged topics as requested
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

sternal

Post by sternal »

Spoke to my mechanic (who's brother is the body shop guy !) he said he wouldn't bother just yet getting it fixed as Ive only just got the van and to spend nearly £500 on it would be mad best to get to know the van first find other quirks/problems etc, and then get done the price isn't going to change that much if/when I get the work done...

So if I did this what options do I have to make it watertight (ish) for a few months rather than my plastic sheeting and gaffer tape !

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

bond some flash band (very neatly) along the area bit like the SA vans have as std
mm
oh and agree, this will make zero difference to the cost of the work in the end.could a SA owner post up a pick, mr wychal maybe :lol:

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

[quote="sternal"]Spoke to my mechanic (who's brother is the body shop guy !) he said he wouldn't bother just yet getting it fixed as Ive only just got the van and to spend nearly £500 on it would be mad best to get to know the van first find other quirks/problems etc,quote]

Excellent advice. That's what I said in your radiator ramble! I hope you take the advice this time.

Realistically at this time of year with wet weather and cold weather coming, there is nothing you can do except put it into a a garage out of the rain. If you cannot do that you are stuck with the problem, unless you want to pay somebody to fix it. The last option is to add more tape I guess unless you can do some repair yourself. In the meantime, start putting a lot of money aside. If the window area is that awful, I am guessing that there is a lot more fixing to do. In the meantime put some close-up pictures up of the rest of the bodywork etc, so someone like metalmicky can give you advice as to how much work is needed and the likely cost.

Good luck.

sternal

Post by sternal »

Ralf85 my garage is about 20cm to low to fit the van ! May have to buy a breathable cover,though I have no idea how good these are (?). Believe it or not thats the only serious rust on the van steps/arches are original and 100% rust free, it has a little scabs here and there and they have been treated with the mighty Vactan ! Cheers btw :ok

metalmick8y cheers will hopefully get some advice on that :ok

I've got some bitumen will that help :rollin