rear seams cracking

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

rear seams cracking

Post by big red bus »

having big problems with the rear seams cracking. have had major paint 2 years ago and has been back to same shop twice for the o/s seams cracking. they have been repaired twice and each time they are fine for a couple of months yhen start to split right in the seam whee the panels join. previously was just the o/s but have noticed today very slight cracks starting in yhe n/sr seam. so my question is. is this yhe shops fault or the signs of a more serious problem. any body got any ideas. im getting a bit fed up off having van in forbody repairs only for them to last a few months.
thanks dan

jimpainter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: rear seams cracking

Post by jimpainter »

If you have had panels replaced maybe there arnt enough spot welds holding the panels in place so they are flexing more than they should. Or maybe cheap seam sealer was used again with not enough flex.

jim
JRP Automotive welding,bodywork, resprays, servicing and repair.
Classic Vw's
Cheshire

big red bus

Post by big red bus »

had no panels replaced.

jimpainter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jimpainter »

Hhhhhmmm, has the seams been cleaned out and resealed then? If its all factory surely it can only be the sealant?
JRP Automotive welding,bodywork, resprays, servicing and repair.
Classic Vw's
Cheshire

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

seams have been repaired with filler and cut back in,filler cracking due to body flex.Worse things in life happen,dont lose any sleep over it. :wink:
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

jamesandtheopenroad
80-90 Mem No: 8279

Post by jamesandtheopenroad »

Same as that. Mine resprayed last year, no new panels, and crackage in some seams. Bloody infuriating. Trying to keep rust at bay with regular polishing, but may well have to dig them out and redo them myself later in the year. :roll:
"our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" Mr W Shakespeare

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

faggie

Post by faggie »

i have had this problem on all converted vans , but on other vans with original tin top roofs it never happens it seems soon as the roof is cut it weakens the shell and causes the body to flex and the seams too crack , also when you jack a converted van up the front doors dont shut properly, ie the latch drags on the striker plate this may be down to slightly worn front door hinges , but again it never happens on tin tops or vans with factory sunroofs , as dbz 864 has said worse things happen

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

big red bus wrote:had no panels replaced.

did they replace the seam sealant with the correct stuff?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

big red bus

Post by big red bus »

does look like he has done them right.
its a caravelle so all factory windows. i have put a westy roof on and roof frame inside using all gen bits from a early donor van that had this roof on. it but has been on for 5 years and was causing no problems before repaint 2 years ago. so understand what you say about body flex but dont think its the roof causing the prob. just seems there not being repaired right.
worse thongs happen but it really bugs me ever time i walk past it. i have to glance and then it gets me. arrrh

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Thinking obtusely... has any one attempted to blend some top coat with seam sealer? It would be a damn sight easier that way!
Also whilst thinking about it - is the sealant presenting too wide a face compared to the original? ie too much has been applied. This may cause a greater degree of movement of the sealant surface leading to the cracking.
Just a couple of idle musings. :D
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶