Rustoleum - which white?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Rustoleum - which white?

Post by discipleofsketch »

I've done a bit of a bodywork tidy up, and the van is now improved from rust-streaks, rust, filler, grey primer and different shades of white to just different shades of white. It doesn't look too bad in this picture, but believe me there is room for improvement! I just went to order some rustoleum combicolour paint as I think I might give it a coat all over using the roller method (http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bo ... r_painting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but was confronted with too many white options - signal white (RAL9003), traffic white (RAL9016), pure white (RAL9010). Any pointers as to which white will work best on my otherwise fairly grubby T25?

Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

mrdp
80-90 Mem No: 9366

Re: Rustoleum - which white?

Post by mrdp »

Hi I'm going 2tone, blue and white on top. I went with 9010 and have painted it on some spare metal to try it, it looks like that very modern white that's popular at the moment.I think it looks crisp and clean. Flats and polishes really nicely. :D

discipleofsketch

Thanks for that - I din't want anything too bright, so i've actually gone ahead and ordered light grey RAL7035 as used on this bus in the WIKI:-

Doesn't look too grey in that pic - I have a lot of work to do if I want mine to look anywhere as good as that!
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

Careful going by photos as cameras sometimes try to work out white balance themselves.

My van is proper grey as in primer coloured but pictures with some cameras show it looking plain white. Not saying that is the case with that photo as the number plate also looks right but may be worth finding a swatch or something for that colour before you spend too much.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

discipleofsketch

Yeah, it's tricky. I've already ordered the paint, so I guess i'll just have to go with however it turns out! I suspect i'll just use one of the panels as a tester :lol:

mrdp
80-90 Mem No: 9366

Post by mrdp »

It does look nice in the photo.If your van ends up looking that good i'd be well pleased :ok

nikalele
80-90 Mem No: 9209

Post by nikalele »

Hey,
I am in the same situation, too many whites. how did this turn out with the light grey?

discipleofsketch

nikalele wrote:Hey,
I am in the same situation, too many whites. how did this turn out with the light grey?

Haven't got round to it yet!

I was going to paint the panel that covers the door slider as a tester - will post pics when I (finally) do!

nikalele
80-90 Mem No: 9209

Post by nikalele »

Haha okay, I'm hoping to have ours ready to paint by the end of the week. The hardest part so far or at least the thing that is taking the longest is choosing a colour!

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

The white used on the Westfalia Jokers etc is a VW colour called Pastel White (code ref. L90D), and apparently some of the Rustoleum stockists can supply paint mixed to this colour.
:ok
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

discipleofsketch

OK, I painted my sliding door track cover today. Slight mishap in that I managed to knock it off the workbench onto a dirty shed floor, paint side down :oops:

Even so, managed to rescue it, just, will require some flatting!

On the bench it looks very light grey, but I briefly held it up against the van and it looks positively white compared to the grubby mismatched shades of "white" currently on there. I'll put it back on and take a picture later or tomorrow. As someone pointed out earlier though, cameras tend to balance out the white.

discipleofsketch

Back on the van - it definitely looks white. The light was fading a bit, so it all looks a bit darker than it actually is, but see the grey blob of primer just below the flap for reference.

I'm going to roller the van bit by bit when I can fit it in :)

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

nikalele wrote:Hey,
I am in the same situation, too many whites.

If you aren't too sure of what colour is the correct shade, you can usually check by looking at the inside door shuts or the insides of the A posts for the factory paint as most vans will not be repainted in such areas. If it looks original, try cleaning with a little compound to remove ciggy staining/crud, etc and then get you paint stockist to compare that colour to those on his colour swatches for the best match. :ok