The MALLYVAGON

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: The MALLYVAGON

Post by Plasticman »

indeed , want to throw your tuppence in , what would you do :idea:
mm

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

metalmick8y wrote:indeed , want to throw your tuppence in , what would you do :idea:
mm

Send you pics and ask for advice! :D

Or reshell it?
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

indeed you would on the former ,the latter ??? yep probably as well.
anyhows figured that to unpick the closure (top) part completely would leavi liable to move so will I think cut it a bit like a long castelation,so maybe its still secured with say 5 original spots , then let the part I make into this, bit like a dovetail realy but as its steel it will be a hundred times easier :lol:
difficult bit will be getting the double curve right and butting it all so it cant be seen .hmmm, talking of butting I see beavis and butthead are back on 'really' my dog sounds just like beavis
oh and havent forgot the thing you asked about and im looking very securely into it :wink:
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well busy sorting other matters but decided to nip out and visist the site of one of kevthe revs rescuers
and kevs donor roof front is still there welcoming guests.
so got him to cut the upper x member of so i can un pick the part i want and make a nicer job of the lower screen mount
it now becomes a very much simpler task and with the benefit of a genuine part to replace the rot.
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

this is the decent new top brace, will dismantle it and use the top cover
soon be on a good roll , big box of bits arrived as well :D
mm

the_mitchells
80-90 Mem No: 9338

Post by the_mitchells »

Yay glad the bits arrived! Which bit was missing? it said one was on back order?
1988 1.9 auto AKA Mally!

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

slider inner rep panal. also they sent the wrong sill and both rear wings are going back and theyre going to get the ***** chewed out , as they throw panals into a box and ship them , and i refuse to straighten their stuff.told them before to wrap correctly , this time i shall be more explicit
mm

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

metalmick8y wrote:slider inner rep panal. also they sent the wrong sill and both rear wings are going back and theyre going to get the ***** chewed out , as they throw panals into a box and ship them , and i refuse to straighten their stuff.told them before to wrap correctly , this time i shall be more explicit
mm
Not sure who you got them from, but when I ordered my panels from JK, they just sent the rear tall panels rattling around in one flimsy cardboard box with absolutely no padding at all. Both panels had broken out of the boxes and were bent. I didn't make a fuss about it at the time as its just too much hassle to get them back to the UK from here in Ireland and I'm sure they wouldn't have easily entertained paying for return international postage.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well trying to work out what to do so called the guys
good move,its all sorted now
last of the front panal removed
im glad at least that the shonker brazed it so it hasnt done too much damage to the 1/4 still a pain though
and more filler in this front than i think should be used in the whole van
now i was going to use the inner but .........changed my mind
and off with it
the chalked area nis the closer for the A post and here it is only secured by being spotted through the 2 parts you see plus the upper support/x member
and so new one clamped in place
trial fitting,
will wait till the new upper panal arrives and then set it all up , it has to be very right as i dont intend the screen to leak :wink:
there was a menchion of a slight water ingress,masybe this is part of the problem
mm :lol:

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well,scraped and hoovered the grot out from here
at first glance its not too bad so leave it :shock: i know better so a little look further along
just a reminder of the same area from the outside
so I remove the panal mount off the inside as its always in the way and there will as per past experience be room for work :rofl
yep
so the order of removal is to make a cut in the upper fridge panal at the point you think the rot is finnished then make a cut in the sill closure panal on the inside and then peel the lot down and off
this leaves just the bottom lip as it joins the sill,
no need to mess with spot drilling ,there is an easier way,wire bruch/scrape it to get a rough idea of the spots,(often swelling from rust either side) and a quick touch with the slitting disc
then the only use i can find for wood butchers tools :lol: is to grip and a bit off a twist and they fatigue off real easy
and you end up with this
then a quick run over with a soft pad and done
now more shonking at the rear, note the layers
there are 2 items behind the latest panal so i can only assume 1 is the original wing and the other is perhaps a lower repair piece . eitherway they are all removed now and joy of joys now its clean shiny meatal
will post this lot before i loose it
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

So, we have a poke about and find that personage with old school bodger training has been at work
they have applied a skim of filler to some plaggy sheet and applied like a poultice and then peeled off to reveal repair which was then sealed and shutzed.I know this because there is no filler inside the wing/jp and for that size hole there would be,
so just the fridge panal to unpick from the C post and remnant of rear wing and a repairing we go , always nice when the crap is cut away and work with new metal , the inner sill will have the rotten bit cut out and a new piece seamed in
same treatment on the rear arch
then a run over with a disc and remove the remnants of the old wing and part of the arch ready to accept the new lip
notice the os headlamp plug is a bit errrrr
one wire has sheared and the plug is all deformed from heat as it was a poor connection, fuse hadnt blown so a fire risk really
right panl wise a bit of a fiasco , the upper front tuend out to be a lhd, and no i didnt decide to weldf up the hole and remake!, so spoke to another supplier and they have organised on to be deleivered direct on monday so that saves the day , the bent stuff has gone back so we shall see. have reordered from elsewhere some stuff so will have that tomoz or monday so all back on track ,
ive just had a sneak peek at the new steel rims and very nice they are too
mm
Last edited by Plasticman on 06 Apr 2013, 08:02, edited 2 times in total.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

so all in all just a bit of surface rust, infact, you could call it a easy fix.. :D
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well a bit of an epic going on trying to source the correct poanals. more later.
removed the last of the grot from the sill closure
can now make a nice new panal to cover and join with the new sill etc
itswasnt completely shot but its not worth joing a bit to this remnant, far easier.neater and quicker to get rid of this surface rust once and for all
the added staining is my cup of coffee :oops:
and we are now left with a nice clean nothingness
onto the front, run the tap down as i need to have these finger threadable
new upper front trialing to the inner brace
some work to do here
and here
will post up the picks of the disaster panals that sicked up today
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

these are the replacements for the bent ones sent back last week. :evil:
this was previously returned i think as it had a chalk mark round the delve and then rubbed off
they are worse than they look so of back and refund.. and sourced from else where , also requested some other panals on thursaday and they forgot these so bye bye
lets see if the picks show this time
fed up with pbucket
mm
Last edited by Plasticman on 09 Apr 2013, 18:10, edited 2 times in total.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

dont know what happened above, will sort in a minute.
more panal issues, upper front panal had to go back , i used it to align the backing but it was manufactured with the centre depressed rather than a nice gentle curve.
anyhow finnished removing the lower panal , i hate doing these and would rather do 3 fridge side for every one of these :D
its not been fully cleaned or blasted yet as i leave it like this for fiting then prior to welding blast and treat thern fit
its not that bad, caught it in time i think
and trial fit, neds to go a bit lower yet
its a nicely made panal , decent gauge of steel as well
mm