The MALLYVAGON

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Re: The MALLYVAGON

Post by scottbott »

that looks awful,does anything shock you??
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

well I get shocked at the bodges I see and the effort shonks must have put in, but as for shock as in stuck cannot fix, well no , not really , its all fixable just some stuff takes longer than others
you will see a lump of well looks like a small woggy nest butits a drip of PU foam that dropped down there and did its thing.
the inner has had a touch of weld
a bit of plate botched on,
from what i gather this work has all been doen prior to the current owner and whilst the interior was all in place so of course no welding.silly me :evil:
so noiw we nip to the O/S and do the same cut around the perimeter of the panal , this time i meet with a bit more resistance as will become plain very soon ,
this is the topmost part, now i have cut horizontally where you see and then i just lifted the bit you see and it came away
it was barely taked a half dozen times at the top and the wasterells then ground most of their lumpy weld away to make it flat enough to cover in pod,
to leave this (ok this is the N/S but they are both by the same hand)
and this is the reason for the struggle with the disc
a few layers of old panal and stuff plus 1/2" sealnt followed by , well nothing i would like to comment on when minors may be viewing
nicely stuck to the rear 1/4 panal,
they must have peeled something back out the way to daub it on
this is the vertical seam which joins the fridge panal. ! yip they left the old bit there.ground it about , cut the lip down on the new panal and then they must have moved onto 'shonk 2' as no PU here just sikaflex or simmilar,
trouble is when folk remove stuff this way they make lkife harder as i use remnant in certain areas to aid removal, and in the case of the top of the wing, they have cut too much off and also the corners that i weld in from the back so to speak , well they cut them straight of so apain it will be
anyhow it explains the widdddddde joint/seam
Now the sill.............................i always expect these to be iffy as its a rare day when one is good, but these fellas have EXCELLED them selves, they have paid good money out and bought a sill, then they decided that its difficult to fit or whatever and we really dont want to remove the interior so I kn ow . ....................
its now an Over sill. :rofl have i seen it all , I fear not
its not localised
its all the way
oh and when they were playing in here they must have injured the rear washer set up as it leaks /d.
wonder how they got the sealant to dry :lol:
more rear arch upon arch
be quicker to buy a new box than to extricate this lot
enough for one evening,be interested to hear opinions thoughts. :wink:
mm

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Amazing what can be done/uncovered. Shocking what some people will do, instead of doing a proper job. If they focused the effort a bodge takes, surely they could have done a good job?.
To the owner of this van, take a deep breath, steel yourself, you have now got more than your toe wet.. But whatever you see, in a month or two or three you will have a van and a half :D
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Toe wet ! :rofl thats a good one..
im busy so better only be a month or two thank you very much.lol
mm

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Christ on a crutch!

That old van must weigh a few pounds... there must be 5 pound of goo
goo don't grind neither
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

any idea who done the "bodywork",how the hell do people sleep at night doing "pooh" like that
Nil carborundum illegitimi

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

scottbott wrote:any idea who done the "bodywork"
At a wild guess, somebody who very shortly afterwards sold it as "restored"...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fidget
80-90 Mem No: 9027

Post by fidget »

There you go mike youve discovered the origions of the true meaning of 'shonky' . Didnt think it would take you long to find a use for it :rofl .

James
If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music

the_mitchells
80-90 Mem No: 9338

Post by the_mitchells »

Christ on a bike! Suffice to say I didn't realise ANY of this when I bought the van :( I'll be having a few words with the previous owner unfortunately he's a family friend. ...bought the van for £4800 so feeling more than a little ripped off! :evil: :evil:
1988 1.9 auto AKA Mally!

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

shonk !oh i can use that word daily, im glad i dont do much mech stuff as i think thats also played with a lot, so will have loads of scope....
this van is it would seem also going to have a colour change :shock: its had the interior scrapped out as something rather different is being professionally designed and made for it, so will be keeping quiet about this untill its done :rofl
as for the colour, if i knew how then i would set up a poll to find the colour to paint it, :twisted:
well outside now in the pure refreshing east yorks rain ,roofing !
mm
ah well in fairness it did not look like that much nastyness had been done, i personally would never have guessed it was glued together,its a first on one of these for me,and it drives nice and you had it a bit,and it will be a brilliant van when donre and the devil you know springs to mind and its a long term keeper so win win in that respect .but i would as you too ,be interested in the story behind the body.
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

oh and whilst you lot may not be colluding can we at least get the story straight , was JC on a crutch or a pushrocket or was he on a crutch and as he couldnt walk resorted to the bike,
mm :run

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I just love this part of MM's surgery, I can remember when the T-bone debate broke out with my C-pillar, and whether it caused the roof to be replaced.

It's like your standing in the workshop when this crap is revealed and there's a dozen blokes standing around oooing and arring.
Brilliant!
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

yes it is really ,i feel eyes ..........thankfully not much v=barracking..
now gone back to look at the waher set up in the rear , and they had removed the rear trim to get the gunge gun in there and they have had the waher bottle out so as to apply more yepow and if you look in the picky then you can see that the washer hose is in amongst it all and the pump is sat pointing the wrong way so the pipe is rubbing against the wing, ok its onlky a small point but over time it will fill the rear wing/jp area and speed rot
mm

Nij
80-90 Mem No: 10199

Post by Nij »

There are bodges then there are bodges.
Compared to this, my bugs bodges were a professional job.

How are you getting through the goo?

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

ultrasonic knife :wink:
mm