Steel sunroof seal question.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dubmaster77
80-90 Mem No: 11369

Steel sunroof seal question.

Post by Dubmaster77 »

Hi! I have just had my broken sunroof mechanism out and re cabled the roof and all is working fine!
However the seal that was on the roof originally was quite damaged and I think had a lot to do with why the cable broke, it was two pices of foam one glued to the slider and one part to the vehicle roof.

I romoved the old seals and cleaned up the surfaces and ordered a new seal from Germany.
I expected it to come with a sticky backing and maybe some instructions..... It didn't.
So.... Has anyone fitted one of these seals? Do you use glue? If so which kind?
Does the seal attach to the body or the slider?

The slider looks like it has never had anything on it and the body shoes signs of glue marks?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Steel sunroof seal question.

Post by Aidan »

it sticks to the shell
I asked classic parts to ask VW technical for the spec of the glue and they couldn't/wouldn't/couldn't be arsed to tell - asfics it was a contact adhesive, brush painted onto the shell by the fitter, they would have just the right one from 3m, 5mins elasticity, 20-30 min full set, weatherproof and fully bonded in 12 hours, but the shape helps to hold it in
I have one to fit once I paint the shell, but I've ha dit for several years now :lol: :roll:

Dubmaster77
80-90 Mem No: 11369

Post by Dubmaster77 »

I bought som epoxy resin rapid fix stuff from wikes! Fingers crossed! Cheers again Aidan!

wxm1873
80-90 Mem No: 12856

Post by wxm1873 »

Any one else replaced there stock sunroof seal and have any tips on fitting , adhesive etc ?

Thanks
Caravelle CL 1.9 DF 1987 LHD

faggie

Post by faggie »

I used evo stick glue worked fine