Bare interior layout?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Bare interior layout?

Post by tforturton »

I've been tyring to find some pictures or drawings that show the interior of the T25 when all is stripped out - so ou can see the seat mounting points. I'm also curious as to whether on not the rails that the middle row sits in are there on all models? Or are they only fitted on the cars with middle seats as standard?
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Bare interior layout?

Post by poshbuggers »

Rails were only fitted as standard on Kombi/Caravelle models.

Van bodies didn't get seatbelt mounting points so they have to be retrofitted with seatbelt mounting plates welded in.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

82JEW75
80-90 Mem No: 9673

Post by 82JEW75 »

Best I've got I'm afraid, no way I'm stripping it all out just to take a photo :p

Seatbelt mounting points are just visible.

Rails on the floor as mine is a Kombi.

Rear bench is fixed to the sides of the van at the larger diametre holes, smaller ones are for trim and not threaded. It's not fixed to the floor, just sits on the "feet" you can see in the photo.

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

Thanks for the photo - it answers a couple of questions I had. Now I have a couple more!
Is it possible to move the rails somewhere else? it looks fairly easy (once you've drilled through the floor), but would it be possible? Is there anything underneath that would stop you bolting through?
I'm thinking I could have a second set of rails which would allow me to move the middle row towards the doors, but facing the other way, behind the front seats, therefore allowing me to use it as a bus most days, but have seats around a table when it's in use as a camper. Brilliant idea, or not technically possible?

sassy
80-90 Mem No: 8491

Post by sassy »

Good idea, but I think the fuel tank may get in the way.
There may be enough clearance above it to bolt through the floor.

Possibly have the bolts come up through the floor and the nuts in the van, the bolts can then be cut off to size.

The seat belt mounts for the front seats can be also used for the bench seat then to save you drilling more holes in the B Pillar.

I'm not near the van so all this is from memory!

Cheers

Stu

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

Our Caravelle has rails in the middle and a 2 seater. It's reversed and a small table (folding up from the side) between it and the rear bench.

I think vans with rails came with the option of reversing the seats as standard.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Interesting that, mu Caravelle has the middle two seats, I wasn't aware you could reverse them:) This opens up more realistic possibilities now, cheers :)
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

Poshbuggers - any chance of a picture or two?

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

On close inspection all the last owner did was to move the rails one slot closer to the cab seats and slid the seat in position, but facing the rear.

Looks to be straightforward enough and it certainly makes for a sociable travelling/stationary seating arrangement.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 2076_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 0818_n.jpg

)

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

You have exactly the same two tone paint job as me :)
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

Thanks for the pics. I thought they'd go further back than that.

82JEW75
80-90 Mem No: 9673

Post by 82JEW75 »

You can certainly move the rails, I'd not consider it with mine though as I have the full width (3 place) middle seat and it would take up far too much space. Don't think it would be all that easy to take the seats out and turn them round, or, rather, technically it's easy, but physically is another matter, my middle row must weigh a good 50 kilos. Hence they're staying in the barn...

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

Blimey. Never thought they were so heavy. I bet the MPG improves when you take them out.
Mind you, I should know better. We have a Peugeot 807, and you can feel the difference when you take the seats out.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I had very mixed feelings about losing my middle seats but now on reflection, it was for the best. Improved performance no end. Just watch you don't get caught out under the 'modification' insurance issue though. I used to be with CIS and when I notified them I'd just removed centre seat they point blank refused to insure me any more. They wouldn't budge on the issue. Bit of a shock to be honest but HIC seemed unphased by this change so I moved to them. Worth knowing as removing something or changing the way it works (ie reversing a seat) can invalidate your insurance cover depending on who you're with. Best to check. Most seem ok as long as you actually tell them.

Unfortunately some just chance their arm and change wheels and all sorts of things without double-checking whether it might void their cover should the worst happen. Budget cover is often riddled with small print that lets them off the hook and you in for a big bill if you collide with anyone.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.