New engine (VEGE), worse fuel consumption...?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dickie14
80-90 Mem No: 13336

New engine (VEGE), worse fuel consumption...?

Post by dickie14 »

Hi all,

This is my first post so sorry if it's a newbie question...

My 2.0 CU recently went nuclear after the oil filter got blocked so I splashed out on a new VEGE engine (Remtec were unavailable at the time).

I'm through the running in period now but my fuel consumption is terrible, about 75% of what I used to get from the original 30yr old lump before it popped! It's down to around 14-16 when I used to get 18-20. It costs me £25 to drive to work and back!

Is this likely to just be because the engine is new and still a bit tight? If not, I'm suspicious it may be carb related - the garage (Beetlelink) had trouble getting them airtight originally but seem to have fixed it - could they have perhaps masked that issue by setting them to run a little rich?

Has anyone else had similarly low mpg from a brand new engine?

PS. Though this is my first post I've been lurking on here for a long time - I've had my van for two years and there isn't a month goes by without me finding some solid gold advice on this forum!
1981 2.0 CU automatic Westy poptop

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Re: New engine (VEGE), worse fuel consumption...?

Post by dugcati »

eloo and welcome! :ok

see if you can get it onto a rolling road as thats the best way to tell whats going on with it

where in the UK are you as there are a couple of mechanics on here that dabble with T25 setups on the side.. theres also the odd one who does it full time too!!
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

it's nothing to do with tight, and everything to do with carburetters and timing

..and sometimes following set up advice or using a rolling road facility where it can be properly and accurately adjusted
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

dickie14
80-90 Mem No: 13336

Post by dickie14 »

Cheers chaps! I think I'll take it back to Beetlelink first and see what they can do with the timing etc, though it was in there only 600 miles ago for it's 'running in' service - I'd have hoped they set it up properly then!

I live in Chiswick, west London, but work in Farnborough so if there's a rolling road or anyone who can help nearby to either it would be good to know!
1981 2.0 CU automatic Westy poptop

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Post by armyphil »

dickie14 wrote:Cheers chaps! I think I'll take it back to Beetlelink first and see what they can do with the timing etc, though it was in there only 600 miles ago for it's 'running in' service - I'd have hoped they set it up properly then!

I live in Chiswick, west London, but work in Farnborough so if there's a rolling road or anyone who can help nearby to either it would be good to know!

I can vouch for beetlelink very goOd at what they do. There's a vw garage up the road towards Bordon called golftek I think. He knows his way round vw's.

Might be worth popping into him might be an option
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia