2.1 DJ rebuild

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Re: 2.1 DJ rebuild

Post by PetenAli »

Here's some pics of the bits that I got back yesterday...

Left hand case half:

Right hand case half:

The case together - ready for painting:

Polished up crankshaft:

Head #1

Head #2

This is the TDC sensor which as far as I can tell would only ever have been used by VW main agents. I want to keep the plug in the case just to stop any dirt getting into the bell housing. The plan is to cut the cable and seal it with heat shrink. Good idea??

At last it feels like some progress is being made although I've always said that I'd rather take things slowly and get it right as this is my first WBX rebuild.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Impressed you managed to get the case nut off behind the TDC sensor! On most of mine I just ditch the sensor as it blocks access to that nut :D

Looking good bud, bet you will want to put it on a rolling road when your finished to see how many horse it is generating :D

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

mm289 wrote:Impressed you managed to get the case nut off behind the TDC sensor! On most of mine I just ditch the sensor as it blocks access to that nut :D

Looking good bud, bet you will want to put it on a rolling road when your finished to see how many horse it is generating :D

MM
Getting that case nut off was a struggle - I'd forgotten about that cos its so long ago :rofl :rofl Going to replace all the case hardware with stainless versions - I've kept all the old ones and need to make a list so I can get what I need.

The rolling road is something to work towards... I'll be very pleased when I'm at that stage :lol:

Did you see the bit above about sourcing piston rings? Can you remember where you got yours from?

Thanks again MM :ok

Pete

Syncronaut #171

mm289

Post by mm289 »

I sourced genuine Mahle through my trade suppliers, wasn't cheap mind but were OE.

The US builders like Hastings rings but I couldn't find a supplier over here.

If you want me to check out prices/availability on the Mahle let me know.

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

mm289 wrote:I sourced genuine Mahle through my trade suppliers, wasn't cheap mind but were OE.

The US builders like Hastings rings but I couldn't find a supplier over here.

If you want me to check out prices/availability on the Mahle let me know.

Cheers,

MM
Yes please!

Pete

Syncronaut #171

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Started going through the case in detail yesterday evening. Found a couple of problems, one of which I've fixed and one on which I would appreciate some advice.

The first one was that I removed the oil pressure control valve cover to discover this:

First of all the compression spring was missing and second, as you can see from the pic, some water had got in and the valve itself was corroded in place. Not even my strongest magnet would shift it at first. In the end it came out after a few taps with a drift must have dislodged the corrosion enough. Fortunately I had a spring and a valve from another case so was able to use them. Firstly though I got a wire brush tip for a Dremel and was able to just get far enough down the hole to clean the little bit of corrosion from the case itself and then spend ten minutes putting compressed air through every possible orifice.

The second problem is that I have found a sharp little burr on one side of the #2 main bearing web on the left hand case half. This is the offending item but my macro photography isn't up to showing the actual burr:

I need to learn how to put an arrow on pictures but the offending area is the semi circular edge nearest in this pic. What I am thinking of doing to take the burr off is to very gently grind it back smooth with a grinding bit in a Dremel. What do people think about this as an idea? I would have to be very careful to capture any swarf but hopefully it will work.

Otherwise I'm getting the case and heads ready for paint which is a fiddly job and I can see how this job took MM 15 hours of work - there are so many nooks and crannies to get into - its coming on though. I've ordered some Rustoleum Hard Hat High Temp paint (up to 750 C) and thanks to Hotpod for the advice on that. I'm using satin black partly because thats the colour VW chose for tin wear on air cooled engines as it gives the best heat dissipation (don't ask me to explain why though - physics was never a strong point!)

Hopefully this level of detail about a full rebuild will be useful to others in the future (as well as me when I get to do another engine!). I'm actually enjoying getting it all down on this thread.

Syncronaut #171

mm289

Post by mm289 »

Looking good, from memory the Mahle piston rings were about £80 trade. i have got the receipt somewhere......

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

mm289 wrote:Looking good, from memory the Mahle piston rings were about £80 trade. i have got the receipt somewhere......

MM

Thanks MM - Google is my friend so I'll get onto it. :ok

Syncronaut #171

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Here's another query if people aren't too hacked off with them!! :oops:

In amongst the pile of bits that I picked up from Dave at Futbus were some rod bolts. Dave was up front with me that he wasn't 100% sure of their provenance but they came in a sealed bag, there are eight of them and to my untutored eye they look clean and unused. They are definately the stretch variety as the the thread is a fraction under 22mm in length. Here's one:

What do people think? Does anyone know how much they stretch when they have been used?

Thanks again,

Pete

Syncronaut #171

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Using an unknown (but known weak point) bolt in an engine is russian roulette.. think about how much time and effort let alone parts that will have gone into that engine, only to find "X" months down the line the engine throws a rod and reduces everything excet the heads and maybe a couple of pistons to scrap.... (really thats how bad they can let go...) Speak to Ian about a set of rebuilt rods with the ARP bolts in... :wink:

Case burr.. thats a different story.. whats caused it?? you have to ask yourself....

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

toomanytoys wrote:Using an unknown (but known weak point) bolt in an engine is russian roulette.. think about how much time and effort let alone parts that will have gone into that engine, only to find "X" months down the line the engine throws a rod and reduces everything excet the heads and maybe a couple of pistons to scrap.... (really thats how bad they can let go...) Speak to Ian about a set of rebuilt rods with the ARP bolts in... :wink:

Case burr.. thats a different story.. whats caused it?? you have to ask yourself....

Thanks toomanytoys. That all makes sense. Going for new bolts is the only option - especially given that there is going to be a significant financial as well as time investment in this project. I have spoken to Ian about his ARP bolts and he has a set put aside for me. The trouble is that he is very busy and wont be able to get onto it for several weeks - and then I'm at the back of the queue. That was what made me investigate this alternative option. I'll still get him to do me a set and I'll use them for a future project.

The burr, as you say, is a different story. I am going to have to find an engineer who understands these engines and get the case more thoroughly checked over. I can see a line bore possibly being added to the preparation although I have read that this doesn't often happen to these cases - and I don't know where I would get oversize main bearings. BW sell undersized ones which presumeably are for crank regrinds. Ho hum - more stuff to find out about but I am going to get this done. :wink:

Syncronaut #171

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Its been a while since there was any movement on this project, partly because of work, partly because of using the syncro for what it was meant for and partly because it was Ali's 50th last weekend!

Anyway I've been getting a bit fed up with what feels like like a lack of progress so thought that I would try and get on with something I know a bit about and build up the heads...

First grind in the valves. I still use the old fashioned way with a valve grinding tool and paste

A bit of elbow grease leaves a nice even dull grey sealing surface around each valve and seat

I put a smear of oil on the valve stem so it doesn't wear

Then everything gets washed in Jizer or similar, rinsed off, blown dry with compressed air and then repeated until you could eat your lunch off it.

Springs, collets and spring caps all set out and then a smear of Graphogen on the valve stem:

Valve in place

Inner and outer springs on and spring cap:

Then compress the springs:

And the fiddly bit -getting the collets into place. I use a dab of grease and various fine instruments :?:

And eventually get them into place:

Release the spring compressor, clean up and only seven more to go:

And the finished article:

Now seal them up in plastic bags so that no gritty bits can get into them and back to sorting out pistons and liners etc.

Syncronaut #171

bikermike87
80-90 Mem No: 7559

Post by bikermike87 »

I'm guessing the photobucket issue was resolved?

Great thread this Pete, really enjoying it.

Happy birthday to Ali as well! :ok
https://www.facebook.com/ChefCampers/
1991 Syncro Westfalia Atlantic 2.1MV

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

bikermike87 wrote:I'm guessing the photobucket issue was resolved?

Great thread this Pete, really enjoying it.

Happy birthday to Ali as well! :ok

OOPS - Photobucket was resolved but only by my setting up another account. I tried all the things they suggested but no joy. At least I can still download to the forum from the old account if I need to.

Glad you're enjoying it Mike. I'm enjoying doing it - just wish I had more time.

Ali say thanks for the birthday wishes! :ok

Syncronaut #171

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

are you not considering new valves?

i have seen a few engines with ' dropped ' valves , inlet and exhaust.

1.9 and 2.1 , not as common as the old Aircooled , but it does happen?