Possible crankshaft oilseal leak on 2.1 syncro

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

onecogwonder
80-90 Mem No: 8008

Possible crankshaft oilseal leak on 2.1 syncro

Post by onecogwonder »

Hi all

Just spent a while on the tech archive/wiki but couldn't find the exact answer, the syncro is dumping an egg cup full of oil from the pulley area when I pull up to the house, I am guessing I have a tired oil seal (can't see behind the pulley), my questions are, as a daily driven vehicle I need to fix this quickly and properly, however,

a) is it a quick fix with the engine still in the van or do I need to drop it out?

b) I am guessing the full spec syncro seal is still available, I am not so fussed about the vehicle being used for wading but will fit this if possible, are these seals pulley specific or will one fit t'other and vice versa?

c) Are there any other important gaskets or parts I need to buy whilst I am working in this area?

Thanks

Mart

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: Possible crankshaft oilseal leak on 2.1 syncro

Post by toomanytoys »

Is it from the pully seal?? if it is, it will be trowing it up all over the place... in a nice line all round the engine bay...

If not.. its from somewhere else.. clean up with degreaser.. drop the protection off too.. that will catch oil and then it will run out...

If its the original engine, then its prob got the twin lip seal.. if its been replaced at some point, then it could have a std seal and pully in there...

I have a std seal in mine.. hasnt caused any wading problems so far.. no that its seen a huge amount..

onecogwonder

Post by onecogwonder »

Hi

No its not throwing oil around inside the engine bay, just a steady drip which is coming out of the pulley area and following the crossmember, not sure if it's doing it whilst driving, doesn't do it so much at work where I park on the flat but when I come home up the hill and reverse back down it's not so good.

Will have a gander once the mess has been cleared up and see if I can pinpoint the area its coming from, thanks fro the help!

Martin

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

oil pump is directly below the pulley... often these weep... a quick nip with a 13mm spanner may... cure it.. but may not...

onecogwonder

Post by onecogwonder »

Thanks chums, one will take a look tomorrow in the daylight!

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

How did you get in with this my friend? I have a small oil leak from the same area, and mine, like yours, is not chucking oil everywhere. I'm only getting a few drops though over night, not a full egg cup.

@toomanytoys - Could my oil pump weep like that of a 2.1? I have the 1.9DG WBX Syncro.
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

onecogwonder

Post by onecogwonder »

Better late than never!

Three causes, none of them were the crankshaft seal! Culprit number one was the oil pressure sensor thingy which was weeping and dripping into the cross member then onto the exhaust, culprit number two was the gasket on the oil return breather block on top of the motor which drains from the intake side and the third one was strange but by far the worst, the welded hex end of the oil filter had rusted/cracked and was leaking oil when it got hot.

The driveway looks a little cleaner now, as does the rear of the syncro!

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Glad you fixed it. The hardest bit is getting an eyeball to the source of the problem! A rusty filter is an old filter that needs changing

PS Hex on the end of the filter means you've got a Polo item, some contention as to whether they are OK for the wbx because of different bypass pressure to the longer MAN 719/12 but some filter is better than none.