blueish smoke from exhaust

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

yorkshireTraction
80-90 Mem No: 0

blueish smoke from exhaust

Post by yorkshireTraction »

hullo all
noticing blueish smoke coming from the exhaust when i put my toe down,clears up after about 15mins though.
Engine is a 1.6td jx and does'nt seem to have lost any power as its still nice and pokey when you give it some gas,will it be piston rings? valve seals?,i have recently had the fuel tank cleaned out of sludge and water would that have anything to do with it?or is the engine in a state of terminal decline?anyone in the coventry or west midlands area fit new ones?
p.s is'nt using excessive oil either
cheers

yorkshireTraction

Re: blueish smoke from exhaust

anyone???

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

...but it is using oil isn't it.?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

yorkshireTraction

kevtherev wrote:

...but it is using oil isn't it.?
checked it today as i do every sun and put a 1/4 of a litre in which is the 1st time in 4 weeks ,admittedly i dont use it every day but ive done roughly 400 miles in those 4 weeks,is this more than i should be putting in?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

there should be non or very little loss of oil
the blue smoke is oil being burnt.
various tests would have to be carried out to determine what has worn.

the turbo seals, and with the head off, gaskets and the back of the valve heads can be checked for heavy burnt deposits indicating wear in the valve guides
bores can be checked for ovality or over size.
And finally ring wear or breakage would cause smoke.

As it's a small amount...personally I'd live with it until you can afford to have it all sorted out....as it might get expensive unless you can do all this yourself
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

if you were burning oil from rings or valve guides I'd probably expect this not to clear up after 15 minutes. I know it seems a daft question, but are you sure it's blue? For the first 15 minutes the diesel is probably still warming up - is it possible it's whitish and the timing is a bit retarded? Have you checked the timing and do you ever use the cold-start advance?

Kev is right about turbo seals - if this is excessive, or your crankcase pressures are high, then you'll be passing a lot of oil back into induction system which is getting burnt off. This is normal on a diesel in very small quantities, but if there's loads of it, then it will "pool" and for a while it will be burnt off as you start, then after a while it'll have burnt off all that is sitting around.

For the amount you say being burnt I'd live with it - if you can clean out the inlet manifold as this can get bunged up and doesn't help smoke levels.

Ewen