help with noise please

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dammo666
80-90 Mem No: 4934

help with noise please

Post by dammo666 »

Hi, I have a "knocking " noise on my 1.6 CT. Its been doing it a while, but wondered if had any one had any ideas what it is. It Starts about 10 seconds after starting and goes away or becomes really quet after about 4 or 5 miles. Its not tappetts, or at least not tappetts i'm used to hearing and there seems to be no loss of power or performance. here is a link to a video with the noise on if anyone would like to have a listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se2lfZnk ... er&list=UL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can hear it well after the rev at around 43 seconds, any comments welcome.

Damion.
membership number 4934

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: help with noise please

Post by kevtherev »

hydraulic tappet noise is heard loudest from near the center of the engine, .. not the rocker cover.
just to clarify for those that wondered where it comes from.

The fact that it quietens down suggests two things to me, that oil pressure helps here as the oil gets thinner and also mating surfaces expand with heat.

I think its a tappet.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Unless it's what's known as "piston slap" where the skirts of worn pistons literally slap the sides of the cylinder walls. As the piston warms up and expands, the noise disappears, typically after a few minutes driving. It's a hollow sort of sound, not a hard knock like if it had bearing wear (and hence low oil pressure) and it would get worse as the engine warms up and never improve.

But the noise on your engine sounds like it's knackered. I'd say a big end is shot. I'm amazed the noise goes away ever! What's the mileage and is it the original engine?

dammo666

Post by dammo666 »

Thanks guys,

Its not the original engine and I dont know the miliage sorry, the sound does disapear after a few miles though. Its done it for about six months now , and its my daily driver, it does get "tappety" occasionaly but only a few minuets, but that is a sharp ticking sound. You can seem to hear it coming from underneath and in to the cab from the front if you can imagine.

all comments welcome

Damion.
membership number 4934

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

silverbullet wrote:big end is shot. I'm amazed the noise goes away ever!

I'd agree with that - OR it could be the cam thats really worn, either way it's a pull it apart job..... good news is most bits for 1600 beetle's can be used on this engine so parts are readliy obtainable :wink:
Last edited by dugcati on 20 Nov 2011, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

kev mc

Post by kev mc »

drain the oil and remove the filter see if there is any swarf, normally when a big end goes the bearing turnes into wafer thin flakes that make it out of the con rod if caught early then shell replacement is all thats needed, if left too long then a crank grind will be needed. difficult to diagnose from a vid clip though.

dammo666

Post by dammo666 »

Thanks,

Oil change is due, I have been using straight 30, book says otherwise, but most figure as its Aircooled it should be 30. As I said its been like it for ages, last oil change 6 months ago, the strainer was clean as a whistle, but I will check though.

many thanks.
membership number 4934

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Is all the oil pressure warning wiring intact? It wouldn't surprise me if it's been knobbled to stop the buzzer going off. Knocking like that will have beaten the rod eye out of round anyway, if the bearing has failed.

How long have you had the van? If not long, I'd be very unhappy with the vendor (not that you'd have much recourse anyway)

dammo666

Post by dammo666 »

Had the van 3 years, been on the road for a year now, oil light comes on with ignition and goes out quickly after starting, no reason to beleive its faulty.
membership number 4934

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Maybe another vid if it running once warmed up and "quiet" would help to get a better diagnosis? Trying to be helpful, honest! I wouldn't want to see anyone blown up at the roadside :wink:

dammo666

Post by dammo666 »

I`ll try when I get to work tomorrow, thanks for the help, funny thing is, it's been doing it so long now I think I have resigned to the fact that "thats the way he rolls", done 150 mile weekend camping trip with it like that, just lucky maybe?
membership number 4934

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello ,

You happy CT sufferer!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

You have an interesting set up, twin carbs set up to a 4 speed van box with a 50bhp CT engine.

Here are a few videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sarran1955?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All based on the CT

As for the tappets, the first part of :

http://vimeo.com/19006035" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will help.

You need to set up the tappet setting screws with the engine cold.

Tappet drain down is normal.

Monograde is good, but 15/40 api petrol grade oil will do fine,

Your engine sounds as though it needs setting up with (slow tickover, sluggish response,)

Idle or main jets need setting......CO emissions % ?.

I'm sorry to be too far away to help. :(

There are lots of people who will help you find a rolling road . :wink:

Its a VW thing :)

Cordialement,

:ok

dammo666

Post by dammo666 »

Thanks, the videos are great.

The original carb needed rebuilding and the pre heat pipe was full of holes and lost the flanges. A mate had the carbs on the shelf so it seemed the right thing to do, they have been great so far.

The noise does seem a bit more on a knock rather than tappett, but I am mechanicaly limited! Have you experienced this type of noise associated with tappetts before?

Thanks again for everyones help, keep `em coming
membership number 4934

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Tappets tick, main bearings rumble, big ends knock, little ends rattle. Knowing the difference is the art of diagnosing bad news accurately!

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

silverbullet wrote:Tappets tick, main bearings rumble, big ends knock, little ends rattle. Knowing the difference is the art of diagnosing bad news accurately!

Oh god....my van ticks, rumbles, knocks and rattles!! :rofl

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG