Replacing Exhaust

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Donnw
80-90 Mem No: 6860

Replacing Exhaust

Post by Donnw »

Driving home today, my exhaust started making a very loud noise. The downpipe has broken and it looks like a section of it is missing. I think my engine is a 1.9 1Y. Where is the best place to get a downpipe? Or is it possible to get some kind of flexible tube to connect up the broken ends?

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Replacing Exhaust

Post by New Kentish Campers »

You can buy one from the usual suspects, like VW Heritage, or Brickwerks [I'd use them, personally] With a new gasket, you'd be looking at around 30 quid I reckon.

I doubt if a bit of flexible would do as the pipe isn't too long and if its rotten then its best to replace it anyway. It might not stop there though, because if the bolts that locate it to the main silencer are rusted in, then you'd be into a new silencer too. And then if you are going down that route and plan to keep the van for some time, might be a good idea to go and get a stainless steel part :ok

Donnw
80-90 Mem No: 6860

Re: Replacing Exhaust

Post by Donnw »

Thanks for the info and advice. I have now had the exhaust repaired. I found a local company- Gosport tyre and exhaust, who were very helpful, they custom made and fitted a new downpipe for me for a very reasonable price. I would definitely use these guys again.