early to late engine swap

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jackb
80-90 Mem No: 0

early to late engine swap

Post by jackb »

Hi my DG engine on my 1984 t25 has blown big time! So need a new one had a sniff of one for sale that i can afford trouble is its from its from a 1990 van also DG engine not sure whether this will fit the engine code off the newer engine is DG171796*

Hope someone out there can help urgently

Thanks a lot guys

vanjam
80-90 Mem No: 1966

Re: early to late engine swap

Post by vanjam »

Hi-I'm not an expert but I can tell you a little from my own recent experience. My 85 DG blew up (valve embedded in piston etc.) It turned out to be an OLD DG with the main differences being:

Crank bearings are not the same: OLD engine:bearings different size and integral thrust flanges-NEW engine: bearings come with separate thrust washers
Cooling system: OLD has waterpump and thermostat housing integrated. NEW has thermostat housing separate to pump at gearbox end of engine. As a consequence of this the cooling hose set up all round the engine is substantially different.

Having said this I have now replaced my old DG with a new DG block and crank but fitted it with the old integrated w. pump and thermostat housing to the OLD pipe set up.

There is also a change in the design of the engine mounting bracket and exhaust systems but I'm pretty sure that the fundamental position of ports and studs/drillings etc remain the same so if you keep the ancillaries that you've got you should be able to make it fit to a newer block. For example I have an old and a new mounting bracket and the drillings in the bracket match both the early and late blocks that I have. As I say, I'm no where near the expertise of some of the guys on here and I hope you get some more detailed advice re engine no. etc. Cheers

Jim
1985 1900DG wc liesuredrive hitop with small amounts of rust

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Re: early to late engine swap

Post by shepster »

Just swap the engine over but use your early cooling system, there will be an extra oil pressure sender behind the pulley wheel which yours won't have but there won't be any wires to connect to it anyway!

Leave it in obviously, the engine mount is different but that's because the exhaust system is also different but as you will be using the original early system again this will be of no importance.

Hope this helps.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.