Hydraulic lifters adgustment (STILL)

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Hydraulic lifters adgustment (STILL)

Post by very_bland »

I got the rocker arms all mixed up for my 2.0l ac, and I am possibly going to have to win out the adjusters anyway as suggested by vanjam ( here) as I had trouble reassembling the rocker arms last time. So I am going to have to adjust the lifters, which is no bad thing I am sure! But I have read the ratwell page http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html where it suggests running the engine before adjusting the settings, but presumably that is not a good idea if the setting are way out? or am i wrong there? I'm guessing a base setting would be a good starting point before turning the engine over.

Also there are a few things I am unsure of on the ratwell page:

Record # of turns that keep the screw is in contact with valve (save for comparison later)
how many turns anti-clockwise till it isnt touching?

Perform leak-down test on each cylinder with no tension on springs (record state of valves)

Is this part necessary, as I do not have a leak-down tester?

Adjust valves to 1.5 turns
clockwise from just touching?

Run engine for 10 minutes and watch vacuum gauge (17" is ideal at 7.5 BTDC)
Ive got a Carb balancer like this will that do the job, if so, connect it to the carb as usual?
Do compression test
Again, is this absolutely necessary?

Cheers, and apologies for being a complete tool, but I REALLY need the damn thing sorted now! So any help appreciated as always!

:ok

In the mean time I shall have another go at fitting those rocker arms
Last edited by very_bland on 11 Oct 2011, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Hydraulic lifters adgustment

Post by kevtherev »

very_bland wrote:
Record # of turns that keep the screw is in contact with valve (save for comparison later)
When you can put a thin feeler gauge between the arm and vlave stem should do it

Perform leak-down test on each cylinder with no tension on springs (record state of valves)

Is this part necessary, as I do not have a leak-down tester?
Not for basic set up, but I would
Adjust valves to 1.5 turns
clockwise from just touching?
yes

Run engine for 10 minutes and watch vacuum gauge (17" is ideal at 7.5 BTDC)
Ive got a Carb balancer like this will that do the job, if so, connect it to the carb as usual?
yes

Do compression test
Again, is this absolutely necessary?

I would say yes as now the valves have been set .....and if you have done it before the reset, then you have a comparison
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Thanks a lot Kev, much appreciated!

Am I correct in thinking it is actually too late for a preliminary compression test now, considering i messed up the rocker arms, so exact reassembly is unlikely? Presuming that is the case, would you still order a compression tester just to see what it is post set-up?

:ok

cygnak
80-90 Mem No: 6770

Post by cygnak »

very_bland wrote:

I found that with dry fingers and a dry pushrod, unscrew the adjuster out until the pushrod turns then slowly screw the adjuster in until you feel the pushrod catch, then turn in 1.5 turns from there.
Simon and Nicola
Syncro Westfalia 1.9 DG LPG converted

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

sorry cygnak, didn't see your last post, cheers for that.
Its been another month and I've still not found the time to get this sorted, bloody life getting in the way of everything :roll: Finally got onto it today, but I cannot adjust the lifters now, because the engine will not crank over! It turns about 1/4 of a turn between cylinders 3&4 but cannot get past there either way round (CW or CCW) on cylinders 1&2 I had to wind the adjusters all the way out so that i could bolt down the rocker assembly, which is possibly the problem, but i have tried removing the rocker assembly on cylinders 1&2 but it still wont crank. sigh.

Help/pointer/suggestions much appreciated as always.

Cheers,
Billy

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Hydraulic lifters adgustment (STILL)

Post by kevtherev »

are the plugs out?

The valves wont stop the engine turning over unless the cam shaft has been installed wrong
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

cheers kev, the plugs are in, i usually leave the in while turning the engine, but i guess it would relieve pressure by taking them out (?) I shall give it a whirl ta! Really need a magnet on a stick, i always drop plugs 1 and 4 before they escape the tin ware.

Thanks again kev!

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

very_bland wrote:cheers kev, the plugs are in, i usually leave the in while turning the engine, but i guess it would relieve pressure by taking them out (?) I shall give it a whirl ta! Really need a magnet on a stick, i always drop plugs 1 and 4 before they escape the tin ware.

Thanks again kev!

Get a plug socket that has a rubber insert, this grips the top of the plug and makes it easier. :ok

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Cheers MM, I do have one but clearly not a very good one if they are supposed to grip the plug. I usually have to play, "can I unscrew the last bit of thread with longnose pliars, and keep it gripped until its clear of the tinware".... usually no, no i cannot.