rocker assembly

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

rocker assembly

Post by very_bland »

following on from a thread (somewhere), I managed to de-thread the rods that the rocker assembly bolt onto, and then managed to break my thumb so I couldnt finish the job (amusing way to keep me off the road .......again :roll: )

Anyway, de-threaded rods removed, new rods ready for reassembly, so how do I put these nuts on without threading the buggers, I must have done something wrong as I threaded all 4 :oops:

the pushrods seem to be preventing the rocker assembly from pushing all the way onto the threaded rods, last time I thought "ahhhh the bolts'll push that on fiiiine", which is probably what caused it to de-thread and go all 'orrible'n'wrong.

Was the engine supposed to be turned to a certain position, because I read nothing of the sort.

Any tips etc much appreciated as always

E D I T: something I have read, "do one at a time so you don't mix the pushrods up" ..... didn't do that, so what difference is there between pushrods?

cheers
Billy

vanjam
80-90 Mem No: 1966

Re: rocker assembly

Post by vanjam »

not sure if this helps but 4 things come to mind from my w/c dg : assuming that you know these are the right rods and rocker sets:

are rods centred in the tappets, they slip off centre easily?
adjustable end of rockers go to valve stems not rods
rocker shaft mounting brackets should be fitted with the slot uppermost and tapered end pointing to rocker cover
wind out adjusters to maximise free play

sorry if this is no use but hope it helps
1985 1900DG wc liesuredrive hitop with small amounts of rust

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Re: rocker assembly

Post by very_bland »

Thanks a lot vanjam.

I did forget to mention it was a 2.0l ac, bad form I know!

I shall have another go tomorrow and make sure the rods are centered properly. Definately got them the right way up adjustable end to valve stems, but thanks. I'm not entirely sure what you mean in point 3, the only slot i can think of is pointing down but that may be a difference between dg and cu.

And wind out adjusters, that means learning how to adjust my tappets afterwards doesnt it? :lol: I'll get reading!

Thanks again vanjam