Bench test of water jacket seals

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vanjam
80-90 Mem No: 1966

Bench test of water jacket seals

Post by vanjam »

I have spent the last 2 months rebuilding my DG. It is now nearly ready to go in. Every time I think of the design of the waterseals I am scared of failure, although I have never had one go on me and i know there are many who stand by it. However, the idea of putting it back in and finding that my work is not up to scratch might push me over the edge. Does anyone do any leak/pressure testing with air or water prior to reinstalling and if so, what methods are used please and can these be adopted by the competent DIYer. As a minimum is there any reason I can't simply block up the holes and pour some water in leaving it overnight to check for water loss/water in crankcase? All thoughts/experience most welcome. thanks, jim
1985 1900DG wc liesuredrive hitop with small amounts of rust

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Re: Bench test of water jacket seals

Post by Fritz »

Jim,,,

Provided you have followed every stage of a re build and used the advice on offer there is No good reason to pressure test the cylinder seals unless you have used a pisspoor after market gasket set . Even the recommended Cylinder head High Temerature gasket sealant is available from Halfords so No excuse there then....

Just go for it...

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,

PS, don't forget to replace all the other dodgy items such as the Water Pump or any hoses that may be suspect...
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....