valve guide replacement 1.9 wbx

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vanjam
80-90 Mem No: 1966

valve guide replacement 1.9 wbx

Post by vanjam »

Hi hope you all well

Have my engine completely stripped at present following dropped valve shattering a piston into crankcase etc. Am basically doing a diy recon including new valves but have found valve movement near or just above the bentley spec of 1.2 mm. so don't really want to go to all this trouble without taking care of same. However, am broke and can't really afford a workshop job so would like to do valve guide removal and replacement myself. Have searched wiki and archive and lots of useful stuff but nothing I can see about techniques from anyone who has actually done it. Very good video on youtube of someone removing Aircooled guides with thread tap and bolt and hammer but again nothing on installing new ones. Don't have a press but do have a bottle jack. Secondly, if I'm doing that, shall a replace seats as well, is htis a diy job too? Any suggestions/experiences very welcome as have been off the road for 3 weeks now and am losing heart a little. Many thanks in anticipation. This is the second valve in 12 months.

cheers jim
1985 1900DG wc liesuredrive hitop with small amounts of rust

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: valve guide replacement 1.9 wbx

Post by California Dreamin »

I think you may be taking on too much here....as an ex VW main dealer mechanic working on VW/Audi's back in the late 80's.... we would send our heads to 'Bobs Spares' (Engineering Machine Shop in Nottingham) to have heads re-faced, crack tested and new valve guides fitted.
Every City has 2-3 similar businesses
I'm sure simple valve guide replacement isn't too expensive.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Would agree - pass the work on to a machine shop. I too am comfortable stripping and rebuiliding right up to high performance standards but I still give that kind of work to a pro.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

vanjam
80-90 Mem No: 1966

Post by vanjam »

Cheers for that, have acquired two spare heads in far better nick than existing so have done a straight replacement with those (valve guide wear low and faces etc in good nick) but may well get them leak tested as suggested. Thanks for the help
1985 1900DG wc liesuredrive hitop with small amounts of rust