Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Swampy
80-90 Mem No: 2802

Which exhaust is this for?...

Post by Swampy »

Hi guys,

Bit confused with this.

My Pa-in-Law bought this exhaust silencer from eBay a few months back. The ad said it was for all models of T25 engine (bit odd, as it said it was compatible with diesel engines too...)

DSC01479a.jpg

Anyway, Pa-in-Law says it does not fit his Van & gave it to me in case he bought the exhaust for a diesel. (I have an '85 1.6TD)

However, it doesn't match my exhaust, so I'm going to stick in on eBay again. Problem is, I looked on the justKampers website to verify what model this exhaust silencer is for & there's an odd thing.

There's a bracket for bolting to another part of the exhaust system (fine, no worries there), but there isn't one on the other side, like there should be. Instead there's just a pipe that extends about an inch or so, with an elbow pipe fitted over it like a sleeve.

DSC01478a.jpg

Could anyone with a similar exhaust please confirm what model engine this is for?

PS: If this could be made to fit my 1.6TD, I'll be happy, as my silencer is in a pretty bad way as it is. (Doubt that's possible unless anyone wants to correct me)

Any advice appreciated.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Which exhaust is this for?...

Post by Ian Hulley »

Perhaps perusing this ... http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Bus- ... try_GB.htm may enlighten you as to the variety of silencers available.

It doesn't appear to have the flange for the tailpipe that almost all WBXer silencers have so perhaps it is for a d****l ?

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

It looks like 1.6 NA Diesel to me but I cant be sure.
1y Tin top rust collector.

Swampy

Post by Swampy »

I'd have said it was for a diesel myself, but there are no brackets to fit it on with - it's just a tube. All diagrams I've seen have brackets welded to the silencer for a diesel.

I've looked through the vwheritage website & just cannot find an exact match. Closest is among the diesel family.

Ah well, thanks for looking. It's a puzzler to me.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

Just s a thought, is that not an 'in built tail pipe' not seen it before if it is. was it from a private ebay sale or was it from a business seller, might be worth warning other people if parts are being sold that dont fit.
member 1168

croc
80-90 Mem No: 9222

Post by croc »

I bought a used 1.9DG taken from a '90 Synchro (pickup ?) which had a box that looked similar to this. It was the later style exhaust with 3 hole flange.
Tailpipe was welded and had mounting tags welded on.
It had what looked like home made mount brackets that attached to the engine support bar. So maybe a generic silencer?
If this helps??
1.9 DG WBX, 5 speed gearbox, standard steel wheels

Swampy

Post by Swampy »

I reckon you're right about the generic bit.

The original listing is here. Business Seller. Why Pa-in-Law didn't just send it back within a month is beyond me:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

If the extra bit is to be used as a built-in tail pipe, then that's fine. If that's the case you would need to use some exhaust putty to fix it in place (currently just slots on & off like a sleeve). Perhaps a jubilee clip to make sure?

If you did that, then I reckon you might have a fighting chance of putting this on a petrol engine. Downpipe can bolt to bracket, tailpipe glued on. Those metal bands petrol exhausts need would keep it from dropping off.

I'm going to try & find someone with a petrol T25 (Mick's is in Southend right now, hence asking here first) and see what the downpipe connection is like.

If anyone parks up in the Dover area & is approached by a stranger asking to have a butchers at your silencer - It's me! :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I might just have been pointed in the right direction.