Coolants

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dannymondo
80-90 Mem No: 9506

Coolants

Post by dannymondo »

Hi all
Does anybody know of coolant types / brands that are suitable for t25 diesel water cooled engine , needs rust inhibitor. VW heritage do one at about £8.99 a litre which seems a bit pricey considering one needs about 7 litres of the stuff to make up 50/50 mix for the 15 litre system.

Cheers

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: Coolants

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

vw did a G11 (greenish), then a G12 now a G12++ (purplish) - any of these are fine as long as they are not mixed. You can't mix the colours up. Brickwerks do a purple one, but to be honest it's about the same price as going to the VW parts place and getting OEM G12++ - it's about £7.49 for 1.5 litres I think. Mix it to 40% and you should be protected up to -30 I think - it'll say on the bottle - I think most people go for 50/50 - I use 5 bottles and that gives me 7.5 litres so about 45% ish. Very important to flush out the rad and engine properly and then blow it out so it's dry before sticking the new stuff in. I also use Halfords distilled water as the purer the stuff you put in, the less likely of contimination.

Hope that helps

Ewen

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I've just put G12++ in mine, this is ok to mix with G11-12-12+.
G11 and G12 or 12+ can't be mixed
I went for G12++ because if I ever have an emergency, I can put either of the other two in.
This confused the hell out of me :lol: but basically VW are stopping G11, and G12++ is what they recommend to put in.
The only reaction you might get when mixing is the coolant might turn brown, no other chemical reaction takes place.
This is what I found out on doing some research anyway
Lloyd
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

I didn't know this about G12++ - I thought you couldn't mix it with G11 - I stand corrected - thanks for that!

I'd also go with G12++ because all VW places carry the same stuff, and it's actually not any more expensive than anything else.

Ewen

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Hi mate, sorry i was slowly typing as you speedily answered his question :lol: didnt really mean to contradict you!
i did a lot of searching to make sure, before i used. links like this one say its ok http://www.germanautoparts.com/Chemical ... ts/VW-Audi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

not at all - thanks for the correction and proper information :-) :ok