gearbox additive

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

carlmarx
80-90 Mem No: 6250

gearbox additive

Post by carlmarx »

Changed gear oil recently for 75w/90 Syn Gear semi synthetic, not much improvement still notchy from 1st - 2nd, ok after it warms up. Would 80/90 be better? Or should I try gearbox additive, recommended or not?
Last edited by carlmarx on 15 Jun 2011, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
..................................................................................................................................................................
VW Uber Alles.

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Re: gearbox additive

Post by kit »

I just toped mine up and was wondering if I should have changed it?
1y Tin top rust collector.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Oil or additives won't mend a worn component
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

carlmarx

Post by carlmarx »

Are these gearboxes notorious for being notchy?..Or is it just wear and tear?
..................................................................................................................................................................
VW Uber Alles.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

They are baulky changing up between 1st and 2nd when cold yes. You shouldn't really be changing down into 1st while moving anyway :wink:
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

pocolow
80-90 Mem No: 6300

Post by pocolow »

I changed the gearbox oil last week and though improved, still a bit notchy as one of the selector bearings has given up (common). Thus it will need a rebuild in the not too distant future :roll:

Mark :ok
thecampervanman.blogspot.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/#!/Pocolow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrdp
80-90 Mem No: 9366

Post by mrdp »

Hi I changed my gearbox oil when I bought the van just for piece of mind really . In the depths of winter... alright then near freezing point, first to second is somewhat stiff for the first couple of miles untill the heat gets into it. Could try pulling away in first then into third for the first couple of miles works for me :P the rest of the year its pretty good.

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Same goes for me, new oil etc and its still a tad notchy when cold but you soon learn to live with it.

I wouldn't recommend additives, old tights, sawdust, or anything except pukka oil :wink:

carlmarx

Post by carlmarx »

What about Millers Oil EP 80w/90 GL4.
VW Uber Alles.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

As long as it meets the VW spec it can be called anything
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

4 speeds are a bit slow 1st to 2nd when cold this is because the change gears and synchros are sat in the cold thick oil, as you go 1st to 2nd the synchro ring can't move the oil aside quick enough to grab the gear and slow it down and line it up in time for the slider to engage it so it crunches a tad; improves when hot as oil becomes spread around and easier to move - the problem is exascerbated by people trying to rush the change - every crunch causes wear and the more wear the more crunch; same applies to 5 speeds from 2nd to 3rd, though generally less noticeable as vehicle moving quicker has more momentum, but most 2nd (4speed) and 3rd(5speed) gears are only 7/10 grade and many are worn more than that
additives won't do any harm but they won't cure this problem and makes for more cleaning work when it comes to rebuild :D
these boxes will do decent mileages as long as they were regularly oil changed from new, but they were advised as no oil change required for vehcile life (10 years) so 20 years of old oil will already have taken it's toll and whilst fresh oil will generally improve things it can't fix things and it's very common for the selector rod bearings to break up which can also contribute to a poor shift as noted by Mark.
Any GL4 is fine by me, Millers is lovely and UK blended but more expensive and I'd rather encourage regular changes than expensive stuff that you don't want to ever change again - I do not recomend Redline products at all there is evidence of wear to crown and pinion sets with their MT90 product. If you want to spend big money on oil then Swepco is what the porsche boys use

carlmarx

Post by carlmarx »

Thanx guys, think I'll give the Millers GL4 a go see if it improves it any.
VW Uber Alles.