Temperature of Front hubs

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sdelasal
80-90 Mem No: 6937

Temperature of Front hubs

Post by sdelasal »

I just replaced the front discs & hubs and am getting a bit of a squeak at times and they are both running hot to touch - about 50'C according to my infrared gadget. Can anyone tell me if that is normal? I set the bearing according to bentley. Steve

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Re: Temperature of Front hubs

Post by Hacksawbob »

Dids you change the pads too? may take a while to bed in? Not sure of operating temp but there will be some excess depending on how much you brake. and there will be some friction even with it all greased up. Dump the tech, spit and sizzle test! :)
member 1168

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Piston(s) in calipers nice a free?
rear brakes not adjusted up too much are they? this causes the fronts to drag a little in my experience..

croc
80-90 Mem No: 9222

Post by croc »

If you serviced the hubs and bearings are they well greased and not adjusted up tight??
Bearings need very, very slight free play.
Mine had been done up with no clearance and both were coloured brown/blue when I first bought van.
Assume they would have had to get quite hot in use to colour the bearings, they also made a lot of noise which I first took to be tyre/road noise.
1.9 DG WBX, 5 speed gearbox, standard steel wheels

sdelasal

Post by sdelasal »

new calipers, pads & well greased I think - hardly any braking on the test trip & discs cool to touch. So it seems like I need to re-visit bearing adjustment.

sdelasal

Post by sdelasal »

turned out the problem was the master cylinder was not releasing brake pressure sufficiently and keeping the pads on slightly. Bearing adjuctment was fine - mot guy said too loose in fact but I thought some wheel rock was necessary - Steve