1.6 wont rev up!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andyboy069
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.6 wont rev up!

Post by andyboy069 »

Hi guys you have been recommend by the lads over at retro rides to help me. I just picked up a t25 1.6 diesel non turbo. At first it wouldn't start as it wasn't drawing fuel so I fitted an online hand primer and ran the fuel pipe straight from a can of fresh diesel, so its not a filter problem. I got it running, but it doesn't rev up when throttle is moved unless the primer is pumped at the same time...I need help guys, I'm not a "diesel" person either and just want the thing running.
I know it used to run as I was going to buy it before it was parked up a year and half ago...
Cheers
Andy

andyboy069

Re: 1.6 wont rev up!

Post by andyboy069 »

I really hope its something simple, really want to use it over the summer..

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

A lot of us here have fitted non return valves on the fuel line between the filter and the pump to be honest it was so long ago I did mine I forget what the problem was :D It does however sound like you might be getting air in with the fuel.
1y Tin top rust collector.

andyboy069

Post by andyboy069 »

I can't see anywhere air could be entering....how could I check?

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

It gets in around any jubilee clips tat are not tight.
1y Tin top rust collector.

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

The fuel comes from the tank to the fuel filter( I take it you know where and what this is), where have you connected the primer to?
The fuel filter is a big cannister mounted at the rear and to the right inside the engine bay.
From your post I can only presume you are thinking the fuel filter is in the injection pump which it is not.
Rob.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

There are two types of canister fuel filters fitted at the rear right hand side engine bay.One has a thermostat valve fitted on the fiter for the return fuel.The valve is a press fit with a spring clip to keep it in place in the filter body.This valve i have discribed can fail and allow air into the fuel supply from the filter to the pump.It can be replaced or change the fuel filter for the other type which dosnt have this valve.