van sups coolant.. no trace of it

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

richhath
80-90 Mem No: 10026

Re: van sups coolant.. no trace of it

Post by richhath »

cheers, I wondered if it was a seal or something, although I cant seem to undo the sensor nut. Are you suggesting bleeding the system because like Ian you think there is air in the system or are you suggesting I need to do this to after replacing the sensor?
Cheers
Rich
1986 Westfalia 1.6TD Joker

richhath

Post by richhath »

Ian (also in Wirksworth)[/quote]

I've seen your van driving around wirksworth, Ian - not long after I had joined the forum. I have a 1.6TD engine

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

richhath wrote: Are you suggesting bleeding the system because like Ian you think there is air in the system or are you suggesting I need to do this to after replacing the sensor?
Cheers
Rich
I'm not suggesting .. I'm pretty sure you have air as it hasn't been bled properly since you have been losing coolant.
if I can explain what is happening... the pump is forcing the coolant into the engine and building up a pressure, so it can have a lower boiling point, and move the coolant around the system, if you engine has air in it then it can't build up a suitable pressure and move the coolant efficiently...so it over heats

what you see in the header tank is the coolant drawing air from the system first... instead of coolant.

so following Baxters method, as the engine heats up with the cap off, you rev it high then add coolant until no more can be added, then when the cap is fitted air will not reappear.
But follow Baxters method fully, it is very good.

Ah I see it's a diesel... please put your engine code, van year and type in your signature, it will save a lot of wrong answers
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

richhath

Post by richhath »

nice one, been on brickwerks and ordered replacement parts ......
thanks for your help and the link on bleeding - really good.Just got to try it now

richhath

Post by richhath »

Just for the record I am back up and running, new sensor has fixed the leak and I have no more air in my system - thanks Kev and Ian for your posts - off camping again tonight

Pollypoppop
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Pollypoppop »

I had the same problem and it was a crack on the seal of of the coolant tank so it was always dropping low - new tank sorted that. Also worth checking if it's the connection on the pipe as it leads to the link that runs it the length of the van (That doesn't sound very technical he he) that weeps sometimes and that was another problem on my van I had it 6 years became quite good at coolant problems. The other time time it was head gasket but it was really spluttery in the morning and cloudy white smoke, I kept topping it up mind but then had to bite the bullet strangely didn't show in my oil but it was a real unreliable dog at the time.

Polly xx

After all that I realise you've solved the problem Doh but keep my other tips in the memory bank.

For the record you've a 1.6 TD any ideas where my oil is going??? Help!!!

ladybugsdad
80-90 Mem No: 12124

Post by ladybugsdad »

hi all ,I am a complete novice.My header tank I think is the tank under the engine cover and it is nearly empty is this where I put the coolant? there is another tank under my number plate which reads maximum and minimum this is on minimum I am completely confused as to where to put the coolant can any body help?.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

ladybugsdad wrote:hi all ,I am a complete novice.My header tank I think is the tank under the engine cover and it is nearly empty is this where I put the coolant?

Yes ! Fill it up quick to the brim! And watch it when you rev it. Must be full at all times
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

ladybugsdad
80-90 Mem No: 12124

Post by ladybugsdad »

many thanks