Throttle linkage

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Throttle linkage

Post by very_bland »

Right this is driving me insane!

Ive (very very slowly been) refitting my 2.0l AC with twin solex PDSIT carbs, hitting niggle after niggle along the way.... and this one I really cannot get my head around.

The throttle linkage.....
I've come to the conclusion which way around it goes, based on the part that the accelerator cable fits to, if that part is on the left it hangs underneath the bar and requires a pull towards the front of the van to operate the throttle... rather than having to be pushed if it is on the left.... which is clearly wrong.

However.... with it being on the left, the accelerator cable is too short to reach it, to the extent that if I did manage to force it, the throttle would be perpetually fully open. There is a hole on the right and one in the center of the tinware that the accelerator cable can come out of, it needs to go through the center hole to almost reach the left hand side.... if it goes to the right, it seems too direct so the tubing that the accelerator cable goes through bends up, so the cable is still too short to reach the right hand side.

I am really confused!

The cable is definitely the right one as I have just bought a new one today.

Is the throttle linkage different for RHD and LHD?

Any help gratefully appreciated as always!

Thanks in advance,
Billy

Gunslinger
80-90 Mem No: 3874

Re: Throttle linkage

Post by Gunslinger »

Just read your thread 3 times and I'm still a little confused. My van is RHD and the cable attaches on the right hand side, ie direct route front to rear.
Not sure if that helps!

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Cheers Gunslinger,

I am seriously confused so I guess it makes sense that my post makes little sense thanks for taking time to reread though.

Direct route seems the most likely and sensible route, but mine runs down the center of the van, possibly because it had a central single webber carb fitted, when I removed the webber, the accelerator cable came through the middle of the engine bay.

I dont know ha ha ha its driving me mental!

If it enters the engine bay on the right there is far too much of the tubing that the accelerator cable goes through, so it all buckles up.... simple solution to that is remove a bit.

But I think that I MUST have a left hand drive throttle bar, because unless I am being totally daft, it only works one way around, and that way required the cable to be attached to the left hand side.

I don't know whether any of that makes it clearer.

Thanks again,
Billy

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

very_bland wrote: The throttle linkage.....
I've come to the conclusion which way around it goes, based on the part that the accelerator cable fits to, if that part is on the left it hangs underneath the bar and requires a pull towards the front of the van to operate the throttle... rather than having to be pushed if it is on the left.... which is clearly wrong.

I shall rewrite that:

If the part the accelerator cable attaches to (on the throttle linkage bar) goes on the left, the pulling it towards the front of the van operates the throttle.... whereas if it is on the right hand side, it has to be pulled to the rear of the van to operate the throttle .... so being on the right is clearly wrong!

...... Hope that clarifies to an extent.

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

And by throttle linkage, I mean the bar connected to each carb..... not the throttle linkage under the cab floor attached to the accelerator pedal!

Sorry for the complete lack of clarity, vanny seems to have drained me of my daily supply of logic!

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Does this help at all?

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Thanks gunslinger, yes it does. Where is that from? It is not in either of the manuals I have.

Anyway that confirms that I do in fact have a LHD linkage bar.... hopefully my friendly local welder can help me with that if I cannot find a RHD one.

I am also missing parts 19a, 19b, 25 & 26

Refrains from saying naughty words.

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Its from Vagcat site. http://www.vagcat.com/

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Cheers.

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

very_bland wrote:Thanks gunslinger, yes it does. Where is that from? It is not in either of the manuals I have.

Anyway that confirms that I do in fact have a LHD linkage bar.... hopefully my friendly local welder can help me with that if I cannot find a RHD one.

I am also missing parts 19a, 19b, 25 & 26

Refrains from saying naughty words.

19b you can live without. 19a is just the bracket that bolts to the fan housing that the throttle return spring hooks onto. Are items 25, 26 definately missing? They should be in th end of the linkage tube

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

I just checked, and 25/26 are definitely missing, stuck my finger right in the hole and its just full of grease (we definitely need a cheeky innuendo smiley)

I was actually going to post a separate topic yesterday about how easily the linkage bar comes off the left carbs ball socket thing, worried that it was wrong and that it might pop off if i hit a pothole or something, but decided to wait and see if it became more stable by attaching the accelerator cable. If 26 is a spring, which it looks like, that would explain the problem. I'll check when I get the RHD bar to see if that has them, if not I'm sure any spring that fits will do the job.

As for 19a... the throttle on the carb returns very effectively, and unless I have wound the chokes on the carbs too far round (and if that is a problem), I am sure it will be fine without that. I had to buy 2 pairs of carbs to get the bits I needed, and on one pair the chokes were turned about 5-10degrees to align the marking, the other pair were wound to 365-370 degrees to align the markings. I opted for the 365 as the throttle return was far more effective. I remember reading about summer and winter settings on the chokes, are those the differences do you know?

Thanks again gunslinger

Billy