WBX 2.1 DJ re-build (with pictures!)

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: WBX 2.1 DJ re-build (with pictures!)

Post by AdrianC »

mm289 wrote:Hope you have enjoyed these posts and found them informative

Very, very much so.

Now, about that 289. I've got an idea...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Unfortunately it is married to the '66 convertible it is in
...and I don't think it would quite fit

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

Hope you have enjoyed these posts and found them informative - if so please reply even with a to let me know it was worth the hours of typing

It has been both enjoyable and useful - thanks very much for all the effort. Even as a long time VW person (had my first Beetle in 1976) its also reinforced my feeling that I'm going to follow the Scooby route.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Your pricing conclusion sounds about right..

When I looked at doing a 2.5 oettinger replica and offering it.. when peeps asked they thought I was mental when I said it would cost about
£4500.......

the amount of time effort and machingin, plus the custom parts that would go into it all cost.

I have a set of NOS Oetti 2.5 pistons and liners sitting here........

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

toomanytoys wrote: I have a set of NOS Oetti 2.5 pistons and liners sitting here........

I have a set of brand new 2.1 crankshaft & bearings and new camshaft & bearings sat here too ....
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

mm289

Post by mm289 »

So, we should all pool parts and build something special

I will at some stage play around with building a few warmed up engines, just a case of aquiring parts as and when at trade prices - retail is way too much!.

If you follow samba or shoptalk forums then tencentlife builds 2.2 engines in the states and charges $3800 for them so there is a market over there at least!

I've done a lot of mucking about with cars over the years and just about to start doing some serious bodywork on the van but engines is what i really enjoy - building a really clean sweet engine is a bit like art - just love sitting there looking at it

Boys over the pond were talking about dropping a Porker 944 engine in ..... now that sounds like fun
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

mm289 wrote:So, we should all pool parts and build something special

...and install it on a timeshare basis. Who gets the first two weeks in July?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skysurfin09
80-90 Mem No: 2820

Post by skysurfin09 »

MM, This thread is one of those must keep for future reference, perhaps it could be placed in Wiki or lock it in archive for those of us with 2.1 WBX, Good on yer mate! Rob
'89 2.1 injected (Digijet)...travelling in hope over adversity

mm289

Post by mm289 »

Just pulled the head off on the used engine I have bought, and applying lessons learnt did the following

1. do leak down test first!!!! Fortnuately this one is showing only 20% loss on a cold engine that hasn't been run, primarily into the crankcase - so it should be a good engine.

2. check crank end float before strip down - er quite a lot of it need to sort that especially as it is going on an auto

3. heat each cylinder head nut before removing (used a plumbers gas torch) and they all came off real easy with no breakages

Doesn't look like the engine has ever been stripped before, liners and pistons look good, can see the cross hatching real easy - miles different to my old ones!

And the reason for the strip down was a water leak on the head - will post a picture up when I get a chance but the plastic seal that goes round the head was totally shot - split, rotten, broken, no wonder it was leaking water!!
for now I won't do a full strip and rebuild, just do the seals etc.

Only problem is liners are stuck fast in the head, can't budge them! Anyone got any good tips for loosening them other than a big hammer?

MM
Last edited by mm289 on 22 Feb 2011, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

StuM
80-90 Mem No: 8281

Post by StuM »

An excellent thread - thanks very much for taking the time to share

And that is a beautiful 'Stang!
ex-1985 Type 2 T3 Transporter - 1.9 DG - The Van's Blog

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Hope you have enjoyed these posts and found them informative - if so please reply even with a to let me know it was worth the hours of typing

Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

only just spotted this thread, a bit of info on my dj build over on modified have a look at wbx to rebuild, i came accross a few difficulties but its running sweet now. still not got her on the dyno though.

mm289

Post by mm289 »

Yeh, missed that post somehow ricicles, search on here seems real sensitive to exact phrasing!

Very interesting, sounds like you had your fair share of issues though.

Where did you get pistons from in the end? Is KS KobelSchmidt and why those not Mahle which I thought were OE? I can only find piston & liner kits which are way to expensive

Guys over in the US (and Marco over here) seem to fit CB or Scat cams - one of the "less expensive" parts

Has it all held together in the end since your head probs etc?

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

yeah its held together, pistons are a bit of a prob i was under the impression that the ks ones were oe, but mahle did do oe stuff as well not to sure about pistons, there is others available from the likes of gowesty but these are all low comp ones so you can increase the capacity but get a power drop. i looked at both those cams but decided to go for solid lifter instead, you can use ant performance type 1 cam for them if you want, i had mine reprofiled for the same sort of money. it matched the case so that seemed like the sensible thing to do. stupid thing with it all is i still potter around at sixty ish but i love the feeling of having built it myself and know its all right (now) good luck with yours

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Brilliant, simply Briliant. Way out of my leauge and resources, but great to put visuals to some of the frequently discussed diagnostics.